Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Looking for the best sushi in NYC

I'm seeking suggestions for an extraordinary sushi experience in Manhattan. I'm looking for something traditional, not a Nobu/Morimoto fusion kind of scene (I love them, but that isn't what I seek this time). We are most fond of sashimi, but like pretty much any kind of maki/nigiri/whatever. Bonus points for an interesting variety of fish, but we're omakase kinda eaters and if a place is awesome just sticking to well-known fish, that's great too.

My short list is topped by Sushi Yasuda with honorable mentions of Kuruma Zushi and Jewel Bako. My limited reading suggests that Kuruma is more pretense and scene but that Yasuda is actually a better experience for a lower cost. I've not heard too much about Jewel Bako, but what I've heard I've really liked.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Looking for the best sushi in NYC

I'm a fan of a place called Kitaya on 31st between Madison and 5th. The sushi there is very good, and pretty much everything else on the menu is good too. If you're looking for good Japanese food, this place's got everything.