Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: \"Nut Peddling\"? PLO/8

[ QUOTE ]
This is a real question. It appears to me that "nut peddling" as you guys call it is simply proper play for PLO/8.Especially low buy-in games. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

mrroyboy,

Despite the jokes so far, I think this is a great thread. I appriciate your willingness to learn and your open ear- you'll go far in life with those qualities.

I very much agree with you that nut-peddling can win money at the softer games. Many of the regulars here critisized my play as overly tight and weak when I was first learning, yet I consistently beat $1/2 and below playing that way. I wouldn't suggest playing any higher though with a simple nut peddling approach. I wish you the very best in your endeavors.

Love,
Assani
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a real question. It appears to me that "nut peddling" as you guys call it is simply proper play for PLO/8.Especially low buy-in games. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

mrroyboy,

Despite the jokes so far, I think this is a great thread. I appriciate your willingness to learn and your open ear- you'll go far in life with those qualities.

I very much agree with you that nut-peddling can win money at the softer games. Many of the regulars here critisized my play as overly tight and weak when I was first learning, yet I consistently beat $1/2 and below playing that way. I wouldn't suggest playing any higher though with a simple nut peddling approach. I wish you the very best in your endeavors.

Love,
Assani

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Assani.
sorry, roy... we just try to keep our sense of humor intact.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<ul type="square">
• (3) continues after the flop only with hands containing a two card combination that is likely to end up the best possible two-card combination on the river,
• (4) bets or raises with the nuts, and
• (5) folds to a bet without them.[/list]
How would a nut peddler play a strong two-draw which is not a made hand in either direction?

[ QUOTE ]

I think almost anyone could eke out a small profit doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there stakes above which you feel this statement no longer holds true?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there stakes above which you feel this statement no longer holds true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the biggers games only take place in 6max, and sometimes those don't even fill in completely.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mrroyboy,

Love,
Assani

[/ QUOTE ]

Nut-Peddling is a relative thing depending on the stakes and number of players playing.

Assani's play (and Megadisgruntled's too) don't really come close to the nut-peddling definition that BUZZ laid out. Both of these guys are fairly tight pre-flop, (but not ridiculously) and both aldo know (when to bet and call with strong drawing hands) and have pretty decent reads on people. They may be relative nut-peddlers in the $400--&gt; games, but more or less they are solid but not overly aggressive.

When I think of nut-peddling, I think of people that have VPIP fairly well below 20%, pre-flop raise less than 5% of the time, and win money &lt; than 30% of the time they see the flop, but a high percentage of the time &gt; 65% that they see showdown.

I really can't say how far this strategy can get you. Seems like Rainaruby was doing this at a fairly high level (like $1000) stakes at Party and I believe was a winner. But that was when the tables were rich with Fish. With so many games being 6-max, and filled with aggressive players that know what they are doing, I would think being a Nut-Peddler would be really tough above the $200 level in today's game.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its like working a real job

[/ QUOTE ]Worse.
Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Much, much worse. At least if you're, say, working the drive-thru window at McDonald's, you might get to meet some cute girls.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nut-Peddling is a relative thing depending on the stakes and number of players playing.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Mendacious - I agree it's relative.

As I use it, "nut-peddling" is the derogatory, disparaging term for relatively "ultra-tight" play.

I can describe the same player either as "ultra-tight" or a "nut-peddler." The first term is not intended as an insult, but the second term is.

Whatever you want to call it, doing it yourself is worse than working the drive through window at MacDonald's. (Thanks for the color Mack).

Buzz
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM

This is an excellent description.

[ QUOTE ]
• A2YZ
• A3YZ-suited ace, and or
• AAYZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I know guys who won't play without an A2, another wheel card, and the ace suited. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Buzz, I'm going to be in LA the weekend of Dec 7-10. If you want to get together for some O8, PM me. (I've lost your number.)

Mack
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM

So you guys say it is actually corect to bet without the nuts?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Hi Borys - The next time you sit in a game, for one random round of the table, keep track of the number of times a hand that is the nuts wins compared to the number of times a hand that is actually not the nuts wins.

I think your question will answer itself.

Buzz