Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-22-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: PokerStars TV Commercials

Danny from Toronto and puts on a decent spin move. Certainly, he has played plenty of hockey before, prolly street and ice.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Danny from Toronto and puts on a decent spin move. Certainly, he has played plenty of hockey before, prolly street and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

he looks like he has never run before in his life.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Sounds like an idea for a thread - poker TV commercials we SHOULD never see.... Bill Gazes kicking field goals, Hellmuth swinging a driver, Fricke running the Boston marathon.....

.Z
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 AM

Hey guys, this is called marketing. It doesn't have to be perfect nor to please 2+2 forumers, it's made to get people to identify.

Average Joe is happy to see pro players suck at hockey, what he sees is that this guy tries hard, very hard in everything he does, and so did he to achieve his pro status and carreer.

I guess the aim of the ad is to show that poker has nothing to do with luck, it's all about practice practice and practice, somehing everybody believes in (unlike luck). A guy fitted like Negreanu can become pro with hard work, and so can you.

I like the ads, the spirit and the music, really good work from PS.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also like how he spins around Tuan Lam in the hockey commercial. They probably told Tuan that he could be in the next commercial, but he had to get owned by Negreanu in return.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an idea for a thread - poker TV commercials we SHOULD never see.... Bill Gazes kicking field goals, Hellmuth driving a race car, Fricke running the Boston marathon.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, this is called marketing. It doesn't have to be perfect nor to please 2+2 forumers, it's made to get people to identify.

Average Joe is happy to see pro players suck at hockey, what he sees is that this guy tries hard, very hard in everything he does, and so did he to achieve his pro status and carreer.

I guess the aim of the ad is to show that poker has nothing to do with luck, it's all about practice practice and practice, somehing everybody believes in (unlike luck). A guy fitted like Negreanu can become pro with hard work, and so can you.

I like the ads, the spirit and the music, really good work from PS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I think these PS commercials are pretty terrible. If I watched a FullTilt commercial and then a Pokerstars one and I was a new player I would go to FullTilt over Stars easy.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM

The point of the sports analogy is to connect development of poker skill with the casual dynamic of team sport play and the skill building of individual practice. It also reinforces poker as a site of competition/bragging rights/etc. The script is intentionally quite basic to ram home the point that Stars/online poker = practice = profit. No cards or situations (which could confuse viewers) are shown.

In contrast, FTP ads often assume that the viewer knows enough about poker to get the jokes...the showboater ad, the 72o ad, the jesus suckout ad...They make a lot of sense to us but many others would be lost.

I enjoy the style and humor of the FTP ads but I would rather see more of the Stars poker-sports ads because I think they will attract more rank novices. Plus the way Hachem grabs the chips at the end is seriously hot.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM

I think the commercial with Daniel is racist. I'm shocked he did it. The ad executives assume that just because Daniel is Canadian, he must love hockey. Just because someone is Canadian doesn't mean that the love hockey...
Old 11-28-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the commercial with Daniel is racist. I'm shocked he did it. The ad executives assume that just because Daniel is Canadian, he must love hockey. Just because someone is Canadian doesn't mean that the love hockey...

[/ QUOTE ]

i had no idea Canadian was a race. i learn something every day here at 2+2.