Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Aces up on river

[ QUOTE ]
if you're trying to look like less of a rock, raise some SC's in late position. when you get into a hand you should realize that there are 3 players behind you that are in shoving mode.

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise sc's, any pp, hc's, even junk hands from CO/BTN regularly. You have a good point about the shovers as I cant really call one of there AI's and expect to have a chance to beat them.

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to refrain but I couldn't help myself...if you started playing poker 3 years ago, you really haven't picked much up. Fortunately for you there'll be a ton of opportunity to learn in these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mind you I did start out with play money for a solid year at least (ya its my downfall to bad playing and i haven't played for 1 year +).

[ QUOTE ]
don't post results when posting a HH.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I'm not a noob to posting HH's this one was late at night and it was an error on my part.

edit: I normally NEVER play anything ace OOP unless its got a 10 kicker + or suited.This was more of an experiment with raise amounts and trying different approaches than im used to and i happen to get into a hand with someone.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM

fold this preflop. this is suh an ugly hand. mix up your play by raising something like 89s from MP rather than a hand like A5o, which is very easily dominated, doesn't do well in multiway pots (which is what you invited with that minraise), and doesn't perform well against pair hands.

your flop play i'm not a big fan of at all. your hand is basically a bluff whether you call or raise. villain's lead with a minbet into a decently sized pot is very donkish and you should be raising these idiots like 95% of the time and expect to take down the pot almost always.

the turn is horrible too. what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this bet? Please think about this for a while and you will probably realize why this is a horrible bet/bet size. If you do not figure out why, ask us and we'll tell you.

lastly, the river is putrid. now you finally have a hand worth raising/betting with, but you just call his blocking bet. what hands do you think villain could have here that actually beats your two pair?

AJ is soooooo unlikely, he definitely doesn't have AK. you should stop playing poker if you're fearing the backdoor flush, and no set would ever play the flop or turn like this (though some bad players might block bet the river on this board if they're really bad).
Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

your flop play i'm not a big fan of at all. your hand is basically a bluff whether you call or raise. villain's lead with a minbet into a decently sized pot is very donkish and you should be raising these idiots like 95% of the time and expect to take down the pot almost always.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your right I should have raised him to see where im at and to possibly take it down right there as it looks like he wants to see another card cheaply

[ QUOTE ]
the turn is horrible too. what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this bet? Please think about this for a while and you will probably realize why this is a horrible bet/bet size. If you do not figure out why, ask us and we'll tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Earlier i posted how in the moment i wasn't thinking and shouldn't have bet at all on the turn since im in pos i should have peeled the river for free.

[ QUOTE ]
lastly, the river is putrid. now you finally have a hand worth raising/betting with, but you just call his blocking bet. what hands do you think villain could have here that actually beats your two pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
when i see a bet on the river like that and i raise him i have no idea where i stand IMO. Is this a situation where he block bets i raise he re raises and i just pay him off with the call best hand or not?

[ QUOTE ]
AJ is soooooo unlikely, he definitely doesn't have AK. you should stop playing poker if you're fearing the backdoor flush

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew he didn't have a flush. a raise does look like the better play given the way you deduced the hand.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM

OMG, I PROMISED MYSELF I WOULDN'T OPEN THIS POST BECAUSE I HAD A BAD FEELING, AND NOW I KNOW WHY,
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Keep reading/posting/don't post results.

Barry
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i see a bet on the river like that and i raise him i have no idea where i stand IMO. Is this a situation where he block bets i raise he re raises and i just pay him off with the call best hand or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have no idea where you stand after villain makes his last bet on the river, you need to stop and think about it for a while. you've gotten the most information you can out of the hand and you should have a good estimation of where you stand.

now if he comes over the top and raises, you've got even more info to work with. unfortunately i can't tell you if this is one of those situations where you pay off or not, because i know the results and they will inevitably bias my response for this hand.

this is why we don't post results. you will get the best (unbiased) answers from very good posters when you don't post them. even though we all try to analyze hands with results as if we don't know them, they are bound to influence our responses.

but if i had to give an answer to that, i'd think about whether villain was good enough to go limit hold 'em on me to induce a raise on the river with a hand better than mine or if he was just trying to represent a monster with air.