Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-02-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Season-end invitational tourney. NOT short

For all of you "tl;dr" idiots- go away now

Our special year-end tournament, the one for which we built up the pot over the year with our points fees, finally was scheduled for a Wednesday night. Therefore, we set the start time for an hour earlier and I messed with the blinds structure, so that it would ony go for around 6 hours rather than 8.

Even so, our smallest stack was still over 180BB… while Diva was the monster of the ball with over 800BB. A few players were planning on coming in for the cash games around 10 or so, when I calculated that we’d have some other bodies available to feed the game.

One of those was the long-absent (I mean, over a YEAR absent) Mr Mom. I wasn’t sure if his game would be rusty after the long lay-off, but his trash-talking was still pretty goot:
“Now here's the bad news for you; I'm still gonna win the tourney, and then take all your chips on the 2-4 table. If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that 2-4 is a simple game. check call the flop, check call the turn, and then check raise the river and piss you off, or just bet out the river and piss you off. Either way. “
(of course, he wasn’t eligible for the DPChIT, but maybe he’d get a shot at me in the cash games….)

Da Coach brought up the idea pre-game night, of having a Calcutta auction:

"Auction off every player, and all the money paid for the auction goes to the person who bought the player who wins. Buy nobody, (yourself) or as many players as you like, for a dollar or 25. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes right before we start"

With the scramble to get started, and not much interest expressed, we tabled the idea for possible use next season.

After arranging the tables and drawing for seats at each one, we ended up with the starting configurations, 20 minute rounds and T50/100 blinds for the $55 buy-in NLHE freezeout of freezeouts. Thanks to the tourney points fees, we more than doubled the amount of the prize pool, allowing us to pay 7 places for the tournament:

Table 1
Diva<font color="white">________</font>T81,825 SB
Da Coach<font color="white">________</font>T42,150 BB
CashN<font color="white">________</font>T35,625
Butter<font color="white">________</font>T37,750
Amazon<font color="white">________</font>T43,400
Rock<font color="white">________</font>T18,825
Anesthesia<font color="white">________</font>T56,625 button

Table 2
Boss of all Bosses<font color="white">________</font>T57,250
Mr Fantasy<font color="white">________</font>T35,625
System God<font color="white">________</font>T54,100
Music Man <font color="white">________</font>T30,375
Mr Big Nuts<font color="white">________</font>T60,825
Mothra<font color="white">________</font>T56,625
Eagles Fan<font color="white">________</font>T20,500

Table 3
Lottery Larry<font color="white">________</font>T58,300 SB
Kdoc<font color="white">________</font>T36,875 BB
Treecrusher<font color="white">________</font>T61,250
AFLAC!<font color="white">________</font>T56,200
Stan the Man<font color="white">________</font>T33,100
Melon Man<font color="white">________</font>T69,650 button

That gave us over T315k in chips at each table to contest for, initially. We started as scheduled, at 7:15 p.m. I intentionally made smaller starting tables, in order to give us some room to play, make the blinds come around a little faster and have some fun.
Someone took down this note from an early hand at Table 1:

CashN, Amazon and Diva limped preflop (in the 1st round?) to see a rainbow 269 flop. Amazon bet T200 and the others check-called. On the 7s (two-flush out there), CashN check-raised Amazon’s T500 to T2500; both Amazon and Diva called.
On the river T, Amazon T10k…. folding Diva’s 77 and CashN’s ducks! And amazingly, Amazon showed the river top set!

I have a note on a hand that Melon Man and Treecrusher got mixed up on, right before the break. A flop of TxAhJh got some chips into the pot, and the turn Qs had Melon Man open for T3k, Treecrusher make it T6k, and Melon Man came back over the top for T28k total, which Treecrusher called. On the river 3h, Melon Man led out for T40k, causing Treecrusher to fold and save his last T15k?

After coloring up the green chips during the break, we started the tournament up again in Round 6, with T300/600 blinds. I believe Music Man was the first one knocked out of the DPChIT, though I didn’t capture any details on his hand. I think he departed Table 2 shortly after the break, but I am not sure. Since this was the big tourney, we’ll double your Bad Luck Bonus chips, to T400, for the first tourney of Season 5! I know it makes you feel oh so much better.

It took us another round to lose our next player, just after the start of Round 7. With T400/800 blinds, Treecrusher had T4300 left in the SB when Melon Man made it T2k to go. Treecrusher pushed with his T9d and flopped a Ten against Melon’s AKo, but the turn King crushed the shrubbery in 19th place at 9:37 p.m.. At least he left the tourney with T200 for the first House Special of the ‘07-08 season.

I didn’t get a chance to try to consolidate to two tables, before our next knockout occurred.
Eagles Fan made it T2k to go in Round 7 and Mr Fantasy came over the top for his last T7100 holding Jacks. The Ace on the flop held up for Eagles Fan’s A5o and we ended up taking a break a little later to eat the pizza that had arrived.

After the consolidation, where we did not redraw seats, we ending up with the following tables:

Table 1
Anesthesia SB
Diva BB
AFLAC!
CashN
Melon Man
Butter
Amazon
Kdoc
Rock button

Table 2
Lottery Larry SB
Eagles Fan BB
Stan the Man
Boss of all Bosses
Da Coach
System God
Mr Big Nuts
Mothra button

I didn’t get a stack count, but the average stack overall was 55k. Blinds were still T500/1000 when, on the 2nd hand, Boss of all Bosses made it T3k UTG, folding the table to me on the button with Jacks. I popped it to T7k, folding the blinds (reportedly 88 and TT!)… and BoaB pushed her last T8,600 into the pot with Queens. The 332AX board doubled her up, and she also won the next hand, then not much later cracke Mothra’s Aces with her Queens to get her stack back up into the 50’s

At 10:32 p.m, in another signature hand of a DPC tourney legend, Eagles Fan pushed T24,700 from the SB in Round 9, over Stan the Man’s initial T6k raise (blinds 700/1400). Stan the Man agonized for a long time, then finally called with AJ. Eagles Fan turned over his AK and said “I’m going to go start the car”… and the poker gods obliged with a Jack on the turn.

That brought Amazon over to Table 2. In his very first hand, he flopped two pair to crack Stan the Man’s Aces with KJo. The next hand, Stan the Man had T16,400 in the SB when Mr Big Nuts made it T7,500 to go. Amazon and I called, and then StM pushed a min-reraise, getting 3 callers.
When the 865 flop came, Mr Big Nuts pushed, getting it heads up with the all-in. Top set vs. 77….. and the 9A finish quadrupled Stan the Man up.
The very NEXT hand, Mr Big Nuts doubled up to T85k with AK through Stan the Man, short-stacking him again

In the meantime, over at Table 1, Rock had earlier been crippled when he flopped a boat with the speed limit, only to have Amazon catch a river 8 for the suckout re-boat. Now, it was 10:35, with T700/1400 blinds, and he pushed T4700 with ATo. Unfortunately, he ran into AFLAC! TPo4 hand and the QJ4 flopped bottom set made pebbles of the Rock’s Season 4 run.
Somewhere during this time, Mothra got Queens cracked by Mr Big Nuts’ KQ.

Shortly before 11 pm, blinds had moved up to T1k/2k with 15 players left. AFLAC! got his T40k into the pot with top two pair, but when the final board became 892KQ, Butter had spread AFLAC!’s chips out before him with runner-runner higher two pair.
It took another round before we got down to the lucky 13. Mothra made it T6k with T1500/3000 in Round 11; only I called…. and called another T12k on the Th4c2c flop. On the turn Jh, Mothra pushed his last T23k with his QTc… and I called one last time with KQh. That last time was enough, as the river two-outer left us with four more players to lose, to form up the final table.

We got one person closer on the next hand. Boss of all Bosses pushed her remaining T10k in on the button with A4o, and she was in the lead with TPo4 against System God’s 99. Somehow, her faith must have wavered; the 33T3K board made her the baker’s dozen exiter.

After we reached the second break, and I’d finished coloring up the black and purple chips, we resumed play with a few minutes left of Round 11’s T1500/3000 blinds, at 11:40 p.m. Given the time of weeknight, I changed the remaining rounds from the planned 25 minutes back to the regular 20 minutes, with no objections from the group.
Five minutes later, Da Coach made it T10k to go. I thought for a while, then called from the button with 99. Stan the Man then pushed another T10k all-in, folding Da Coach. I called and faced AQ on a King-high flop that never improved for my opponent…. and we were two from the TV final table.

#11 went out on the next hand. Kdoc pushed T17k with AQs. With the 2k/4k blinds, there were a lot of hands Melon Man’s big stack could call with…. his Kings were overkill and clocked Kdoc at 11:47 p.m.
Her chauffeur got the bragging rights, as CashN wasn’t out until almost midnight. Most of her 22k went all-in on a T8X flop, with 97o in the BB, but JTo was the winner and we had our final table for the 2007 DPChIT:

Lottery Larry<font color="white">________</font> SB 144k
Amazon<font color="white">________</font>BB 79k
Butter<font color="white">________</font>51k
Mr Big Nuts<font color="white">________</font>79k
Melon Man <font color="white">________</font>83k
System God<font color="white">________</font>161k
Da Coach<font color="white">________</font>33k
Diva<font color="white">________</font>229k
Anesthesia<font color="white">________</font>button 98k

Blinds were still T2k/4k as we continued play, but we soon progressed to T3k/6k for Round 13. Sometime early on, Da Coach doubled up with A2 vs System God’s 99, when first a deuce and then an Ace fell.

Amazon lost some chips to Anesthesia with A4s vs Q9 when a 49 flopped and a four-flush appeared on the turn.

I kindly doubled Amazon back up, when I made it T20k to go in middle position and he pushed for 36k and held A5 against my 76o… getting an AA25 board to suck out on me.
Blinds were T5k/10k in Round 14 when Anesthesia put in the rest of his T25k with JTo, after Butter pushed from the SB with 6-shooters. The AQKQ board led to a saving balloon on the river for the non-nut straight.

Shortly before 12:30 a.m., Da Coach got knocked out with some hand I didn’t capture notes of, in Round 14.
Another victim during this round was Anesthesia, when his T50k in the SB went all in against Diva’s T30k raise with Aces. His TT looked even worse on the turn when Diva picked up the nut flush draw as well, and he 982K7 board knocked out our med student on the bubble.

Having made the money was evidently enough for Amazon, as he existed in 8th place just before 1 a.m., during Round 15. During that time, Butter doubled up through Diva’s T30k raised when he pushed T51k with Aces and an A88 flopped against Diva’s useless QTd.

A few hands later, System God pushed T54k in on the button, getting called by Mr Big Nuts in early position. A3c vs KQc… so you know that the JTXQX board was coming.

Then I got into a nice set of hands that will settle the Evil Eights argument once and for all. First, I made it T32k to go on the button with A9d and Butter pushed from his T7k small blind. I called pretty quickly, misjudging his stack size- he had T112k- and not taking the time to think carefully- “what if Butter’s holding an 8?”
Sure enough, he had 98h, which only made me about a 3:1 dog preflop… which went to over 40:1 when the 98 flopped.

Butter now had around 230k and I had 1/10th of that.
2 hands later, I pushed my T27k UTG with KJh, folding the table around to Diva in the T14k BB… who paused. I sat there thinking “please don’t have an 8! Please don’t have an 8!” and she must have read my mind, because she said “I have an 8” and called. 87o and I knew I was drawing thin….

I covered my eyes, refusing to look at the flop…. and we really don’t need to see what flopped, right? DAMN that Melon Man for not getting knocked out earlier, to curse me with the Hand of Doom at 1:10 a.m. when I had no TPo4 protection!

That left four players… which became 3 five minutes later. Having done his job, Melon Man pushed his T190k in Round 16, with T10k/20k blinds. Huge stack Diva called with AJo, facing AQs. The hand got cracked again, as the J98 flop was only a tease (see the curse of the 8, Unholy Priest? Flee!)

Our tricycle started at 1:15 a.m, with Diva holding about 650k of the chips in play. That increased by another T100k, when our 2007 Tournament Kingpin trophy winner pushed with AQd, getting called all-in by Mr Big Nuts with 77. The Q38 flop (EIGHT!) was followed by 44 and the tournament was heads-up between our Reigning Champion from the last House Special… and the woman who had 2 firsts, 1 second and 3 third-place finishes during Season 4.
The coronation lasted 10 minutes…

But it was Butter who was the chip leader, having taken most of the chips with A8 against Diva’s A3. Butter had T660k and Diva 295k when Butter pushed with ducks and Diva raced with ATo. The 945J4 board not only marked the end of Diva’s comeback (at one point in the latter half of the tourney, she was down to 60k), but it also gave us a Repeat Reigning Champion target for the start of our fifth DPC season!

There will be a $20 bounty on the head of Butter in his next tournament. Can he tie the record of three straight tourney wins, currently held by First Day Fiver former member GingerAle Gunner? We’ll have to wait until September to see.

And so, at 1:36 a.m, the last game night of Season 4 came to a close. The $2/4 limit hold’em cash game had broken up long before.

One interesting thing- This tournament was the third one, where our stack leader pre-tourney did not win the DPChIT. Interesting.... I would have bet against Diva winning, just because of that "coincidence"