Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Simple car question

every 8 months wtf? Most brek pads last at least 30k miles. If your ABS is going off, it may be due to an electrical "failure" too. I had my ABS/break light come on because a lamp failed somewhere...this was on my old grand cherokee.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:14 PM

no, I definatley go through brakes that quickly. This car model is notoriously bad on breaks, and I drive like a goddamn idiot 90% of the time, and I drive pretty long distances going from way to fast to stopping way to quickly much more often then I should.

This car isn't going to last me but another 2 years at most. When I take the brakes off, they are usually down to the metal, but pads and rotors usually only cost me about $65 so, no biggie.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, I definatley go through brakes that quickly. This car model is notoriously bad on breaks, and I drive like a goddamn idiot 90% of the time, and I drive pretty long distances going from way to fast to stopping way to quickly much more often then I should.

This car isn't going to last me but another 2 years at most. When I take the brakes off, they are usually down to the metal, but pads and rotors usually only cost me about $65 so, no biggie.

[/ QUOTE ]
you put new rotors on every 8 months as well?? does your car have a check rotor light too? ive never changed rotors, but for some reason pads and rotors for $65 sounds like a f'ing steal!!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Wow, I went over 40k miles before I had to replace my brakes, and I drive (and brake) pretty aggressively. Try ceramic pads if you can get them next time - they should last longer.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:21 PM

they are just cheap parts, thats why they wear out so quickly. I could buy nice aftermarket equipment, but it's just not worth it. I could get $240 rotors and pads, but, the way I treat them, I would be afraid of ruining them. The rotors that are on my car are so cheap that they can never be turned, the shops won't touch them because they are so thin.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 PM

You could be right, but there are other reasons too. Some break pads come with a wire in them, and when the pads get low, the wire rubs against the rotar, causing the warning light to come on.