Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Advice on moving up to NL 100$

perhaps "harder" is the wrong adjective.

I do really feel that my natural game is more suited to $100NL play (based on what I have read) than $25NL - I am good at spotting (and avoiding) good players - and there are very few at the lower levels.

I think it's more correct to say they are a different type of easy. and my natural game is more suited to the type of play at the slightly higher level.

To date I've played only 1000 or so hands at $100 and I am not basing my desire to jump up there on the hands I have played.

I'm not moving anytime soon either - it's something I am thinking about at present.

Strangely I have always had better results playing at $50NL rather than $25NL on all 3 of the sites I have played...
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM

I am getting nailed with hitnrun artists - who out luckbox me with their short stacks - then leave the table immediately after doubling through just after I have got a good read on how they play which is infuriating

OMG, I must have the worlds most durable mouse cuz everytime this happens I slam it on my hardwood floor. This happens sooooooooo much at $100 6max. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. You've put me on tilt just reading this [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am getting nailed with hitnrun artists - who out luckbox me with their short stacks - then leave the table immediately after doubling through just after I have got a good read on how they play which is infuriating

OMG, I must have the worlds most durable mouse cuz everytime this happens I slam it on my hardwood floor. This happens sooooooooo much at $100 6max. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. You've put me on tilt just reading this [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys aren't alone in that. Yesterday alone that happened to me probably 30 times. It was insane. I guess its my fault since I cashed out some money the day before. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 PM

hmmmm - which tables do you play at - I'll aim at those when I finally do move up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I keep telling myself that now I have a read on them I'll catch them sooner or later - but I rarely do [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

#2 on my most hated list after [censored] shortstacks are hit n run artists - especially the ones that up and leave totally that I can't follow around.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 PM

The move up to the 100 level is nothing like a paradigm shift. At every level you increase, there will be a few less random crazies who donate off stacks, a few more TAGs, and a few more tricky plays. The difference is only slightly noticeable in relation to the last level, and before you know it you've forgotten how the old level plays. At least that's how it is for me. Every level at first seems like it will be far and away a huge difference, but it really isn't until you get up the 1k and 2k games.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:45 PM

25NL 6max is horrible for hit and runs. Most of the really horrible players at a table will only stick around for 30-45min, in that time they'll either double and leave or bust and leave. Sometimes you get a piece of them and others they leave with your stack. Usually, once one leaves others follow and the table falls apart... it sucks to have to find new tables every 45min.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:43 AM

I would like to thank everyone replying in this thread and giving me pointers. Someone said you need to have more than 3.0+ BB/hands for you to beat NL 50. Right now I have 10k hands recorded on PO and it says I have around 5.6 BB/100.

Anyway I will start of by sitting on one 100NL just to get into it while grinding nl 50. And when I feel ready I'll just go up. Because one of my major problems is to get used to the bigger stacks and being comfortble with playing my own game instead of being scared of the big bets and stacks. Hopefully it wont be a problem.

One question though, does anyone know if it helps if I sit down at a nl 100$ with like half the buy in. Just to get a feel of the game and then do full buy ins?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:44 AM

Raz-
Don't buy in 1/2 stack. Thats just weak sauce.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One question though, does anyone know if it helps if I sit down at a nl 100$ with like half the buy in. Just to get a feel of the game and then do full buy ins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Always buy in full. You will get bullied by a decent player if you buy-in short. Unless you want to get it all in the first time you get TPTK, buy in full.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:32 AM

I agree with pretty much everyone else - $100NL may be a bit tougher than £50NL, but it certainly isn't twice as tough. I haven't noticed any general tendencies - e.g. lower limits being more TP and higher ones more LAG. Whatever level you play at, it's all about table selection IMO. Go at the fish and steer clear of the good players and you'll do fine.

I wouldn't buy in for $50 as it's too much to play an all-in game and too little to get good implied odds. Just buy in full and look for someone to stack. I would suggest just single-tabling at first and maybe playing slightly tighter and more ABC until you feel used to the stack and bet sizes.