Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 05-26-2007, 02:13 AM

Default folding trips, standard? (3/6)

villain is 21/8 over 50 hands. my image should be standard TAGish, maybe a little on the aggro side.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($1657.90)
MP3 ($1201.85)
Hero ($748.85)
Button ($465)
SB ($564)
BB ($600)
UTG ($518.10)
UTG+1 ($699.30)
MP1 ($267.35)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $6, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, Button calls $24, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($63) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $48</font>, Button calls $48.

Turn: ($159) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $108</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $252</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $519
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: folding trips, standard? (3/6)

yeah its fine
Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 AM

I think you bet yourself out of this hand. I c-bet the top pair but smaller maybe $30 and then given the same call I check/call the turn. And I have lots of funny stuff planned on the river depending on what hits....
Old 05-26-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bet yourself out of this hand. I c-bet the top pair but smaller maybe $30 and then given the same call I check/call the turn. And I have lots of funny stuff planned on the river depending on what hits....

[/ QUOTE ]

this all seems like pretty terrible advice. not to be a total jerk, but i would pretty much never bet less than half pot on the flop and would pretty much never check the turn here. i'm really just interested on whether the fold is standard or people would continue.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:04 AM

I think he has an overpair with or without a spade more often than he has a bigger T or a flopped flush here. If he has a boat I think folks more often think another flush card may guarentee them action rather than kill their action.

All together I think it's close especially if he likes the btn vs co battle(ala blind battle).

If I'm betting like that I'm 3 betting all in on turn however I may not have bet the flop.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 AM

The smaller c-bet is due to the board and the fact your heads up. It's a risk return thing, your f/e doen't reduce much but you control potsize for the times you have to playon considering your top pair is not much more then a bluff/draw catcher here.

After the flop I check the turn for a little bit of:
1. Deception
2. Bluff Solicitation
3. Pot control

In this way I can make money out of a lot more hands I'm beating and lose less to hand I'm losing to. I think trips is generally a weak hand as it can be very transparent therefore my play is based on reducing this in such a way as to increace my overall ev.

(BTW I have no probs if you think I'm a looney as long as you don't mind telling me why)
Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The smaller c-bet is due to the board

[/ QUOTE ]
my cbets are bigger on coordinated boards since i want to charge draws and weak hands that are tempted to come along. on dry boards where its likely villain has nothing i cbet less. i think this is pretty standard.

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop I check the turn.. this way I can make money out of a lot more hands I'm beating and lose less to hand I'm losing to.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I get a lot of calls from one pair hands here since they can so easily just put me on overcards with 1 big spade. i also think i lose the least when i'm losing since i just fold to a raise rather than check call two bets. unless i want to check fold the river in which case i probably fold the best hand a lot.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:26 AM

I shove here. He has only $465 and I'm not so sure he couldn't have some pp with a spade or a hand like As7x or As3x and be raising as a semi-bluff. Also, you have outs vs. any made hand and I think his flop play is pretty bad if its 10x without a spade. Overall, if you're beat its not all the time and sometimes you beat hands like T8 here.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 PM

the thing here is that in his mind the T should look like a huge scare card to you, and your bet size doesn't necessarily look very confident. A lot of players are going to put in a raise there with a pretty wide range of hands because it's really tough for you to have a hand strong enough to continue with.

Also, he doesn't have a full stack, quite a bit of money has gone into the pot already, and you have outs to the nut boat. You only need to win 1/3 of the time to make pushing better than folding, and you have 10 outs against a made flush. You're actually most concerned about running into a better ten, but assuming he's folding offsuit broadway combos to your pf raise, then there are only a few combos we have to worry about, whereas there are lots of ways he can be bluffing with just a pair or a big spade.

I'm not going to go through all the math, but if you play with pokerstove a bit you should find that we don't have to be ahead here very often to justify getting the money in, and I definitely think we are ahead here a pretty significant amount.