Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: What would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
Bringing your face and neck close enough to a strong angry dog to do that is pretty much suicide. A dog can spin his head and body around REAL fast. You seriously risk losing your face, as a best option, if you're going to plant your head and neck on a dog's head and neck. Dogs may be dumb, but they're not slow or weak, and tearing your throat out is a joke to jaws like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about kissing the thing. Like I said, I'd try and throw a coat or shirt over him to disorient him and let me get into position. Once you tighten that rnc, I think he might try to squirm out of it (I realize how good dogs are at this; mine is a master), but that's where you wrap your legs around it (kinda like a guard from behind). Without weapons, I don't see much of a better option.

I'm a brown belt in tae kwon do and even I wouldn't want to kick a pit bull. Kicking at a smaller, faster, animal that is enraged is sure to get the thing latched on to me and then the kid and I are both in the same boat. You gotta wrap this animal up and an rnc does just that while keeping you behind the dangerous part and it immoblized. It'd probably be easier than on a human, since the dog isn't gonna tuck his chin and pull down on your arm.

Plus if you do it right, I don't think your head or neck would be exposed even if it could turn its neck around (and remember pits don't have long necks). Bury your face in the back arm and your throat should be partially blocked by its back and your shoulder.

If there's a better way I've yet to hear it.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:46 PM

Default once on cops...

...the suspect took on the german shephard and kicked its ass. the ploice said he would be charged w/ assaulting an officer.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 AM

Default Re: What would you do?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about this. I wasn't referring to any weird locking mechanism. I'm talking about once he gets a bite, he's not letting go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. It's not their jaw structure, it the size and tone of their jaw muscles. It's very hard to get a pit bull's jaws open when he's locked down on another animal. "Locked down" is just an expression. Anybody familiar with the breed knows of their tenacity of grip.

The pit bulls I'm familiar with were relatively small, between 20-35 lbs. and were bred for gameness. Their handlers would carry hickory hatchet handles that had been carved to taper, and when their dogs became locked down, they would insert them between the dog's jaws behind their teeth and pry the jaws open.

It's only been the last 20 or so years thatpit bulls have become popular and they have started breeding bigger dogs. I see them on leashes weighing 50-70 lbs, sometimes more. I can't imagine what their grips must be like.

P.S. I've owned them, and they made wonderfull pets. It was always embarassing when the guys came over to see my macho dogs, only to see the dogs bullied around by my wife's cat.