Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Saw Zodiac earlier today...thought it was very very good.
I imagine people who got sucked in based off the from the director of Seven and Panic Room may not like it.

Not only does it look and take place in the 70's but it feels like a 70's era film. Fincher's best work to date in my view without all the flash that normally comes with him.

Robert Downey Jr. and Ruffalo(sp?) are very good. Both Anthony Edwards(did he retire from acting after ER?) and Jake Gyllynthal are good too.

The stabbing murders by the lake are pretty startling.
Overall its a def must see...but it is almost 3 hours...though King Kong/titanic/etc felt like long movies to me...this one didn't.

Not sure I'll every listen to that Hurlyburly song again and not feel creeped out.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 AM

James Bond Ultimate Collection: Vol 2 (PART 1)

License to Kill : IMDB : 1989: A Timothy Dalton portrayal of James Bond. I am not a fan of his movies so far. I prefer Moore and Connery. As a movie, LTK has just been kinda hard to watch. I don't mind the "dark Bond" theme, I was a big fan of "Royale". The semi stunt is pretty awesome, however.

Plot: James Bond leaves Her Majesty's Secret Service to stop an evil drug lord and avenge his best friend, Felix Leiter.

A View To Kill : IMDB : 1985: Just under a solid Moore flick. I would have preferred to see a little more of Christopher Walken's character's dementia. If he was given a little more I think he could have knocked it out of the park. The opening confuses me, this is the second ski/gunmen opening that he has done [that I've watched]. There is still a lot to watch in the film, but it could have been just a little better.

Plot: An investigation of a horse-racing scam leads 007 to a mad industrialist who plans to create a worldwide microchip monopoly by destroying California's Silicon Valley.

The Spy Who Loved Me : IMDB : 1977 : This film holds a special place for me and enjoy watching it every chance I get. This film has much of what is come to expect in a Bond film: great lines, gadgets, girls, etc.

Plot: Agent 007 must work with his female Soviet counterpart to find the answer to the disappearance of nuclear missile carrying submarines.

Part B will be Thunderball and Die Another Day
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 AM

five-star, this will probably cause you some embarrassment, but it seems you aren't aware that none of your viewings were james bond flicks.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
five-star, this will probably cause you some embarrassment, but it seems you aren't aware that none of your viewings were james bond flicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Connery fan?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 AM

lol, yeah.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:58 AM

LOL, loved the response. Yeah, these films all sucked, unfortunately. But hey, if you liked them, then good on you.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:37 AM

actually enjoyed this movie. heder was pretty good, which made me happy, as he's sucked since nd (need to watch that again).

don't forget to go into the special features and watch the alternate ending, it's superior. not sure way they went with the other one.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 PM

The Piano Teacher by Michael Haneke, a disturbing film on many levels; however, it's one I want to go back and watch again. I think Code Unknown is Haneke's best film, but the mis-en-scene in The Piano Teacher--note the bilateral symetry at the end--contrasts effectively with the protagonist's disintegration. If it is disintegration, that is. Haneke's endings are hard to read.

Christmas in July, a fine little Preston Sturges film, though not really the equal to his masterpieces. Still, it's always interesting to see Sturges's company of supporting actors, especially William Demarest and Franklin Pangborn. Clocks in at a rapid sixty-eight minutes, too.

United 93; so much has been said about this already, and I don't have much to add, except that I didn't feel it on the emotional level I thought I would.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 PM

I recently saw The Illusionist...very good up until the rushed ending and "explanation"...strangely enough, it needed to be longer, more epic in its storytelling...

Paul Giamatti was amazing, though. I never pictured him in this kind of role, but wow - he nailed it.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, loved the response. Yeah, these films all sucked, unfortunately. But hey, if you liked them, then good on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will grant you that Moore is a much better Bond than Dalton. Dalton's movies just hurt sometimes. I do have Thunderball to review for you. Volume 4 is also coming in the mail.
Closed Thread