Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Sports Radio Call Blitz?

OK, I've been a lurker for a while, but called senators and members of the house, joined the PPA, and did everything I could to help our fight here. I really think an important step for us to take here is to get the word out about the actual state of online gaming (not that we really know what this is yet) to the people who provide the foundation of online poker.

When you look at where the poker sites advertise, it's almost exclusively on sports channels, often late at night or during poker programming. I think this is the biggest demographic that participates in online gaming, both poker and sports betting. The easiest way for us to reach this demographic is to call in to sports radio shows and talk about what the bill does and does not do. I think it's key that these people understand that the FBI isn't going to break down your door for taking the over on the Lions/Packers games or playing a $10 Sit and Go. I've talked to everyone I can about the bill and this seems to be the most common perception amongst the people who have heard about it. The average gamer ceasing to play poker is probably the biggest threat to us at the moment, so we need to make sure this doesn't happen.

I think if we could all try to call up our local sports talk radio stations on Thursday and Friday we could get the word out and let people know they'll still be able to game online and hopefully rile some people up about it as well. Most sports talk radio stations have a football betting expert call in on Fridays to give his opinion on the weekend games. I'm sure a lot of sports bettors make a point to listen to this part of the show, so if we could call in both before and after that and get the word out, that would be great. It really seems like we need to enlist the sports bettors in this cause, as most of the research indicates that they are the largest percentage of the online gamers. The local radio station here in the Bay Area is KNBR 680 and their afternoon radio show (The Razor and Mr. T) reaches a huge number of people, so if we could get even five or six calls in on Thursday/Friday, I think that would be helpful.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Sports Radio Call Blitz?

Excellent idea