Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Winner
Michigan 44 38.26%
Ohio State 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Executing Child Rapists

[ QUOTE ]
The motivation to prey on a helpless individual for the sake of your own sadistic enjoyment is sickening. I'd feel not an ounce of pity for a child rapist meeting a gruesome and agonizing demise, even if they were mentally handicapped.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] irony
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before a poll like this can even mean anything, you must specify whether or not the altenative is life in prison with absolutely no chance of parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

My goal was not to guage pragmatic responses regarding what would make the best social policy for utilitarian reasons. Rather, I was interested in emotional reactions regarding the proportionality of death as retribution for child rape.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have one; it is a poll to gauge sentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's exactly what it gauges: sentiment. An emotional reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM

I have no philosophical objections to executions, just practical ones. We keep finding innocent people on Death Row, and it is almost certain that we have exceuted dozens if not hundreds of equally innocent men over the years. If we continue to execute murderers or child molesters, we will continue to execute innocent people as well.

So I prefer life imprisonment. We keep them off the streets so they can't harm people, but also have the chance to release someone if it turns out we made a mistake.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am lucky that my sexuality is considered 'normal' by most people I come into contact with, but not everybody is that lucky, and I am sure we can agree that more than once in history someone has tried to 'cure' someone of homosexuality.

So why do we believe that the desires of this person can be altered any more than my desires to be physical with the opposite sex, or someone elses desires to be physical with the same sex or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desiring to rape children is not something that comes natural. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't think of anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're being deliberately criptic, or if I'm being undelebartely dumb, but I can't see what point you are trying to make.

Many people would make the following statement 'A mam desiring to have sex with another man is not something that comes natural. DUCY?

Are you saying the difference lies in the consentuality of the act? If so, how do you feel about a 45yr old man having consentual sex with a pre-pubesant 9ry old girl?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone else fill in the blanks for me in Neilso's absence?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no philosophical objections to executions, just practical ones. We keep finding innocent people on Death Row, and it is almost certain that we have exceuted dozens if not hundreds of equally innocent men over the years. If we continue to execute murderers or child molesters, we will continue to execute innocent people as well.

So I prefer life imprisonment. We keep them off the streets so they can't harm people, but also have the chance to release someone if it turns out we made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I wrong to consider this as a straight EV calculation?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I wrong to consider this as a straight EV calculation?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way I see it.

But others rather see 20 child rapists go free than chance executing one innocent man.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But others rather see 20 child rapists go free than chance executing one innocent man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go free?
What part of Life Imprisonment do you not understand?

Don't try to pretend that the decision is either execution or letting them walk. It would be a lot easier to change the law so molestation carried a Life sentence than the Death Penalty and you know it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Just to make things clear.

What extra value would you give to someone imprisoned for life in a max security prison over someone given the death penalty?

(I don't agree with the death penalty BTW)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM

wtf is wrong with little kids rapping? lil' bow wow is hot!