Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: WOW! No Official Ranking Thread. I Will Start One

[ QUOTE ]
Also, anyone who runs those numbers based on Sagarin needs to consider this: LSU, Georgia, and Tennessee weren't top 20 teams that year. Right. And Auburn was 8th. LOL. A combined 40-2 against other teams after the bowls and that's how they're ranked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm, I'm not sure why you're still arguing this point when I already ran the numbers and they came out in Auburn's favor. I mean maybe you're still right, and the gap between Auburn and Oklahoma was bigger than my results said, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth and stop criticizing an analysis technique that produces results in Auburn's favor. Just a thought.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM

what? from your post re: 2004:

[ QUOTE ]
Preliminary analysis says the BCS got it right

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 AM

Okay, yeah, I'm a moron with a crappy memory. I forgot the results of the numbers I ran. I think I'll leave that up there, editing to pretend I'm not stupid is the coward's way out. Sorry Austiger, proceed with your objections as scheduled [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM

How does a team like hawaii get ranked 12th? Is any team they have played even in the top 75?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does a team like hawaii get ranked 12th? Is any team they have played even in the top 75?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, according to the Sagarin predictor, Hawaii's toughest opponent thus far is 2-7 UNLV who's currently ranked #89 although to be fair, Sagarin's rankings are for all of division I, and there are several I-AA teams ranked ahead of them. Take out the I-AA teams, they might crack the Top 80, but definitely not the Top 75.

In short, it's beyond ridiculous that Hawaii's even in the Top 20, let alone the #10 spot they got in the latest Harris poll. To not play one opponent better than Duke, and still end up going to OT twice is something you should be embarrassed of, not rewarded for.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, yeah, I'm a moron with a crappy memory. I forgot the results of the numbers I ran. I think I'll leave that up there, editing to pretend I'm not stupid is the coward's way out. Sorry Austiger, proceed with your objections as scheduled [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get him started. You and I both know that there are good arguments either way (Oklahoma or Auburn) and it's ridiculous to act like others are idiots because they don't believe what you (whoever) believes. It cracks me up when guys like Austiger believe it's black and white and anyone who doesn't see so is an idiot.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM

I'm done arguing Auburn vs. OU, but don't put words in my mouth or call me out like that. I never said anything like that.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 PM

FWIW, if there was a playoff, I think Cal would have won that year. They outgained USC 424-205 on the road when they played and the only thing that stopped them from winning was going 0/3 on 4th down and losing the turnover battle 3-1. I think they could have beaten any team in the country at a neutral site, and probably would have beaten Auburn or Oklahoma on the road.