Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 09-21-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

Yes, I know, no one understands why rap is so popular.

This is more for things that are absolute staples (not Britney, per se) of our society that seems like every, and I mean everyone, seems to like, but you just don't get it.

Scarface: I don't like this movie. Everyone tells me they think it is the greatest ever. Who doesn't know who Tony Montana is?

I think it is too long. It needs to be edited down. The story doesn't move fast enough for me, the acting isn't that great IMO, and I can't find myself empathizing, or admiring Tony.

The Deer Hunter: Once again, I find this movie way way way to long. It poorly juxtaposed. Weren't they at a party scene, friendly, then fighting, the Robert DeNiro is playing Russian Roulette. What was going on this movie? From the first half, this movie is a total mess. The party scene reminded me too much of a beer commercial. The bottles of beer were placed in the most bizarre places. I watched just about half of this movie before I decided I had enough. Mind you that if some of the details are wrong, I have not seen this movie for a while.

The Doors: I don't think that Jim Morrison deserves the credit for being a good singer as much as he does. All the songs are basically two-chord wonders, causing them to be monotonous.

So, list it and explain to the world why you don't like it, because few people will ever understand.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

midnight cowboy
Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 PM

Everything ive ever read by Dan Brown.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 PM

Re: the Deer Hunter

It is very long, but I think you need that long hour and a half to make you know and understand how close the characters are. Then, that first Roulette scene is so intense. The first time I saw it I thought "god this is some long useless stuff" and then when I saw that first roulette scene, I got it.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn’t every one left unimpressed by what they have read of Dan Brown? The Da Vinci code seamed to be a very poorly written book with one great strength very short chapters each ended on a cliff hanger maybe you didn’t enjoy the prose or the characters or the theme but the cliff hangers was just interesting enough that you were prepared to read the next chapter after all it would only be ten pages.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Good call on Scareface it appeals to young men with fantasies of being gangsters but it’s a long movie with no characters that are in the least bit sympathetic. I find my self repulsed by Tony Montana and just not caring what happens to him.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 PM

Crash - THE most overrated film ever.

Similarly Babel for the same reason.

Why? Because nothing happens, the characters are paper thin and no one learns anything about anything. Whats worse is the idiots who watch them thinking they are edgy and clever when they are nothing of the sort.

Citizen Kane. I dont know what anyone likes about this movie at all. I havent seen the film since 2001 though, i didnt hate the film, i nothinged the film which imo is even worse.

The Lord of the Rings films. Probably just the specific genre, but aside from the huge set piece battle scenes i cant see the appeal at all. For further reasons see Clerks 2 because Kevin Smith said it perfectly, its just 12 hours of boring walking. By the way, see the website How It Should Have Ended for how the entire storyline could have been completed in 20 minutes.

Elvis Presley. Im a Beatles fan fwiw.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn’t every one left unimpressed by what they have read of Dan Brown? The Da Vinci code seamed to be a very poorly written book with one great strength very short chapters each ended on a cliff hanger maybe you didn’t enjoy the prose or the characters or the theme but the cliff hangers was just interesting enough that you were prepared to read the next chapter after all it would only be ten pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you havent even started to talk about Angels and Demons, if i could kill on human without punishment it might just be him.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never read the book. In fact everyone I ever met that read the book told me it wasn't that good. One comedian put it: "People buy the Da Vinci Code so they can put it on their end table, like see, I read too." I think it is a book that every bought, although they never read a book in their life.

Oh, and I hate hate hate hate hate hate cliff-hangers in a book. Nothing irritates me more than reading a book where every chapter ends on a cliff-hanger. This techinique is also used by Terry Brooks. I got so sick of the cliff hangers I ripped his book in half. If you ask me it shows a lack of confidence in the writer's own ability. Just tell me the friggin story.

(EDIT: fixed quote tags)
Old 09-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Harry [censored] Potter. But good on her for ripping off LOTR and making $1 billion.