Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Regional Beers and Local Favorites

I x-posted this in the TLDR: Beer club, but figured there's always good beer discussion to be had in OOT, especially after reading the MGD Light thread.

Last week I was back in Madison, Wisconsin and decided to pick up some beer that I can't get around here (Austin, TX). I had limited suitcase space, so here's what I chose.

From left to right:
New Glarus Belgian Red At $9/bottle this is probably overpriced, but it's a big crowd pleaser. With over a pound of Door County cherries and Wisconsin farmed wheat this is a good choice for a piece of Wisconsin to bring home.
New Glarus Spotted Cow This farmhouse ale is a huge Wisconsin favorite that I couldn't resist bringing home with me.
Bell's Two Hearted Ale I'm thinking I could find this in Austin, but I don't recall seeing it off hand, so I picked one up as it's one of my favorite IPAs (Along with Racer 5 and Maharaja)
Lake Louie Tommy's Porter Lake Louie is not an actual lake, but a pond at the Arena, WI brewery. I have loved everything that I've tried from these guys and this traditional Porter is no exception.
Bell's Oberon Ale With Summer fleeting I decided to snag another of Bell's great beers.
Capital Brewery Wisconsin Amber Another local favorite and the number one seller from an excellent brewery. Read Why they still claim the title of America's #1 Brewery
Ale Asylum Hopalicious I have high expectations for this American Pale Ale. The word on the street is that this is a new brewery created by brewer's from Madison's own Angelic Brew Pub. After hearing this new brewery mentioned a couple times I decided it's time I try some.
Lake Louie Coon Rock Cream Ale I don't recall trying this particular brew, so hopefully it lives up to the Lake Louie name. An interesting antic from the brewery- Lake Louie (it's a pond remember) hosts hockey games held by the brewers and friends. After every goal the game stops for a drink. Scores are reported to be in the 30's and above.
Capital Brewery Autumnal Fire I can't remeber anything about this seasonal other than people like it. I hope it's a winner because I got two of them.
Avery Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale Widely available, but it's been out of season for a couple months now. I found a couple bottles tucked away in the bottom shelf of the fridges collecting mold. So I bought one for my host and one to bring back. At $7/bottle it must not be a popular choice on the UW campus.

So what'd I miss out on? I'm pretty happy with my selection. Chime in on what you do or don't like about these beers/breweries.

What beers do you miss that you can't seem to find where you live? What beers are local favorites that don't seem to be anywhere else?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Regional Beers and Local Favorites

Narragansett
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM

I really like Goose Island beers, brewed in Chicago. I can't seem to find them where I live.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

New Glarus Belgian Red At $9/bottle this is probably overpriced, but it's a big crowd pleaser. With over a pound of Door County cherries and Wisconsin farmed wheat this is a good choice for a piece of Wisconsin to bring home.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds really good; high quality fruit def. makes a big difference.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM

We have a local brewery here that is a city favorite. Very very good beer. Good enough to ship to family in Cali for Christmas.

Boulevard is the Brewery, and the Boulevard Wheat is my personal favorite.

Brewery:

Wheat Beer (label):

Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have a local brewery here that is a city favorite. Very very good beer. Good enough to ship to family in Cali for Christmas.

Boulevard is the Brewery, and the Boulevard Wheat is my personal favorite.

Wheat Beer (label):

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived with 2 people from Lincoln, and have quite a few more friends from NE. So I've drank a bunch of this stuff. Really good beer, but I think the nostalgia kicks it up a few more points than it deserves.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 PM

Bell's Oberon Ale With Summer fleeting I decided to snag another of Bell's great beers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oberon is the [censored]! My inlaws live in Michigan and before I make any trip to MI they must have a case of Oberon in the fridge.

My friends and I have a local brews only rule when we travel. A few good ones I remember off the top of my head:
Christian Morelein in Cincinnati
Smutty Nose Brown Ale in New Hampshire
Rogue Dead Guy Ale, where the hell was that?
Huber Premium or something in Wisconsin
Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
San Francisco I think. It's a pretty damn good brewery, although Dead Guy isn't my favorite from them.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
San Francisco I think. It's a pretty damn good brewery, although Dead Guy isn't my favorite from them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, it's Newport, Oregon, about 80 miles from Portland.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like Goose Island beers, brewed in Chicago. I can't seem to find them where I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan of GI as well. Their IPA is the best of any I've ever tried.

I've had a few of the beers in the OP and none really stood out(Spotted Cow, Oberon) except the Two-Hearted ale. I havent tried every Bells variety, but it is my favorite of those I have. I was especially disappointed Hopalicious, as I'd heard really good things about it while in Madison. It was ok, but nothing special. A little too sweet even for me if I recall.