Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Rank \'em CFB week 6

[ QUOTE ]

1. LSU
2. CAL
3. OHIO STATE
4. OREGON

5. OKLAHOMA
6. U SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (STILL LIKE THEM)
7. FLORIDA GATORS
8. BOSTON COLLEGE

9. U SOUTH CAROLINA
10. MISSOURI
11. ARIZONA STATE
12. KANSAS

13. SOUTH FLORIDA
14. KENTUCKY
15. WEST VIRGINIA
16. HAWAII (GO RAINBOW WARRIORS!!!)

17. U ILLINOIS
18. WISCONSIN
19. CINCINNATI
20. TEXAS

21. PURDUE
22. KANSAS STATE (LOWER)
23. VIRGINIA TECH (MAYBE HIGHER -- LIKE 16)
24. GEORGIA

24b. -----------------rutgers

25. INDIANA HOOSIERS
26. PENN STATE
27. WASHINGTON HUSKIES
28. VIRGINIA

28b. ----------------boise state

29. AUBURN
30. MARYLAND
31. FLORIDA STATE (HIGHER)
32. COLORADO

33. CONNECTICUT

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

[/ QUOTE ]

updated to get boise state in top 30 again-- and rutgers. rutgers is no worse than cincy in my opinion
Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your Oklahoma love is simply amazing to me. As is your seemingly irrational hate for all non traditional schools (Boise last year, South Florida this year).

[/ QUOTE ]
He put them 8th... how much love do you want? Personally, I think USF is a borderline top ten team at best, and it has nothing to do with an "irrational hate for all non traditional schools". My reason is that I watched them play West Virginia, and where some people saw that game as "proof" that USF was legit because they beat a "top five team", all I saw was a terrible game that proved that NEITHER team was of top ten quality. Of course it's unfair to measure a team entirely on one game, and they did beat Auburn in OT a long time ago... but then they struggled with Florida Atlantic last week so I feel justified in my opinion for now. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the 28-13 home win over Elon...

I don't have anything against USF, and I think they are definitely a top 15 team, but I just can't justify putting them ahead of teams who I'm 100% convinced are better than them, and that list includes (sorted by conference) LSU, Florida, South Carolina, Cal, Oregon, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Ohio State. This means USF deserves (in my mind) a #9 ranking at best, and I'm not uncofortable possibly putting USC, Kentucky and a couple of other teams in front of them too. I wouldn't quibble with someone who ranked them eighth in your position; save your arguments (do you have some of those? I'd love to hear them) for the people who are ranking them even lower than that.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your Oklahoma love is simply amazing to me. As is your seemingly irrational hate for all non traditional schools (Boise last year, South Florida this year).

[/ QUOTE ]
He put them 8th... how much love do you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually put them 4th. You could make an argument that outside of the top 3, everything else is a tossup. South Florida, BC, OU, Oregon and a few others fighting it out for 4-10. It'll shake out better through this month.

I just hope Mizzou isn't for real. :-)
Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Mizzou's offense is for real, but Oklahoma might have enough skill players to limit the spread like they did last year

Mizzou's defense has some holes
Old 10-07-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He put them 8th... how much love do you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually put them 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]
He actually put them 8th. Read my post, "them" referred to USF. I was responding to the second half of the post I quoted...
Old 10-07-2007, 11:56 PM

Can someone honestly tell me some rationale for putting USC in the top 10? They just suffered the biggest upset ever (spreadwise, I know Stanford is I-A blah blah blah), their quarterback is injured, their offensive line is injured, their running backs are injured, and they haven't beaten anyone of note. Why did Michigan get crucified for their loss when USC has one every bit as bad and gets to stay in the top 10?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no way is cincy better than than USC trojans. cincy is a pretender

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes to my original point. USC clearly has more talent than Cincy, or ASU, or USF...etc, but haven't performed as well to date. I'm sure USC will end up 10-2 or 11-1. When they get those wins and/or those other team stumble, the Trojans will move up in the rankings. My rankings (at this point) are not meant to be predictive.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 AM

They lost to Stanford. Oregon, Cal and Arizona State are pretty good and better than Stanford.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 AM

hey rwperu,
what happened to ASU's pass protection this past weekend?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone honestly tell me some rationale for putting USC in the top 10? They just suffered the biggest upset ever (spreadwise, I know Stanford is I-A blah blah blah), their quarterback is injured, their offensive line is injured, their running backs are injured, and they haven't beaten anyone of note. Why did Michigan get crucified for their loss when USC has one every bit as bad and gets to stay in the top 10?

[/ QUOTE ]

after michigan's loss to app state, i chalked it up to a fluke and still had them around 13, 14, 15. not until oregon dismantled them did i drop them like a stone.

i didn't see the game against stanford but i assume the turnovers did them in.

any great team can have some horrible mistakes doom them like a blocked punt or a deflected pass returned for a TD.

it comes down to a judgement call. i have USC at 7, and i think they're better than that. the game against Oregon in a few weeks will tell us where they belong

[ QUOTE ]
The Trojans rolled up 459 yards to just 235 for Stanford. But USC's five turnovers and Pannel Egboh's block of USC kicker David Buehler's PAT attempt early in the game proved decisive.

[/ QUOTE ]