Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Lay down Aces full to all in bet on river?

Playing in my home game, down to four handed, 5/10 blinds, 500 buy in (500 rebuys). Dealers choice. Almost end of night...was stuck early, now up a grand or so, have 1500ish in chips. I have tight image - rarely loose, and usually not much.

5 card omaha 7 or better.

I am in cutoff.

I have A-A-2-10-K, double suited.

I raise $50 preflop. Everyone calls...this is common. We friends who like the action, and nearly end of night...no one wants to fold.

Flop: 9-7-7 rainbow.

Checked around.

Turn: A

I now have aces full.

Checked to me, I bet $200 into $250 pot. I sorta want callers, but wouldn't mind if everyone folded, as I have no low draw. Button folds, UTG mulls A LONG TIME...too long, IMO. He usually is talkative and quick, now very quiet. He gets quiet when he has a monster. He is tricky, aggressive player. Finally, he calls. Other player folds.

River: off suit 5, making low.

He goes all-in. I call.

He's got quad 7s, and back up low and scoops.

Question #1. Can anyone fold this hand? This player is will go all-in with only nut low. He could easily have 3-4 with trip 7's or a weak full house. On the other hand, he knows I probably have aces-full, so why would he just bet the low if he knew I would call. In any case, I know I am just calling to get $250 back, hardly worth $1200+

Question #2: How do I prevent my brain from freezing up and having the words come out of my mouth before settling down? I had a hunch that he had quad seven, but the words "I call" came out of my mouth before I could even stop and think. It was like my brain went into a spastic "flee or fight" mode, and I paniced.

What I am really upset about was the manner in which I called...I didn't step back, and think about it...ie. I'm chopping at best, maybe getting scooped. I'll give up the $250 and go on. I'm not sure I could have folded, but I would like to have given myself a chance.

Thanks.

manku
Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Lay down Aces full to all in bet on river?

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in my home game, down to four handed, 5/10 blinds, 500 buy in (500 rebuys). Dealers choice. Almost end of night...was stuck early, now up a grand or so, have 1500ish in chips. I have tight image - rarely loose, and usually not much.

I am in cutoff.

I have A-A-2-10-K, double suited.

I raise $50 preflop. Everyone calls...this is common. We friends who like the action, and nearly end of night...no one wants to fold.

Flop: 9-7-7 rainbow.

Checked around.

Turn: A

I now have aces full.

Checked to me, I bet $200 into $250 pot. I sorta want callers, but wouldn't mind if everyone folded, as I have no low draw. Button folds, UTG mulls A LONG TIME...too long, IMO. He usually is talkative and quick, now very quiet. He gets quiet when he has a monster. He is tricky, aggressive player. Finally, he calls. Other player folds.

River: off suit 5, making low.

He goes all-in. I call.

He's got quad 7s, and back up low and scoops.

Question #1. Can anyone fold this hand? This player is will go all-in with only nut low. He could easily have 3-4 with trip 7's or a weak full house. On the other hand, he knows I probably have aces-full, so why would he just bet the low if he knew I would call. In any case, I know I am just calling to get $250 back, hardly worth $1200+

Question #2: How do I prevent my brain from freezing up and having the words come out of my mouth before settling down? I had a hunch that he had quad seven, but the words "I call" came out of my mouth before I could even stop and think. It was like my brain went into a spastic "flee or fight" mode, and I paniced.

What I am really upset about was the manner in which I called...I didn't step back, and think about it...ie. I'm chopping at best, maybe getting scooped. I'll give up the $250 and go on. I'm not sure I could have folded, but I would like to have given myself a chance.

Thanks.

manku

[/ QUOTE ]

So even assuming you can only win half the pot, he has to have 77 more than 1/3 of the time here to make a pot-sized call on the river bad, and it seems like there are a million ways he could have a low, trips+low, etc. Now I haven't played these wacky 5-card games, but this still sounds like low content thread material.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 AM

forgive my ignorance, but what is "low content thread"...does that sorta mean my post is not relevant to most players? which i guess it isn't, as NL Omaha 7, five handed, healthy stakes, isn't played too often [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
forgive my ignorance, but what is "low content thread"...does that sorta mean my post is not relevant to most players? which i guess it isn't, as NL Omaha 7, five handed, healthy stakes, isn't played too often [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It should probably be in the o8 subforum. I believe he was saying it should be in the lc thread because you got coolered.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, he knows I probably have aces-full, so why would he just bet the low if he knew I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you only raising AA hands preflop, or are you so tight post-flop that you only bet with the nuts? If not, you could easily just have A23xx.

It sounds like your opponent likes to get tricky. Maybe he was trying to slowplay flopped nines full, got worried you hit Aces full on the turn, then waited for the river to move in when he made his low.

I think you're looking at a worse full, or even just trips, with a good low most of the time agaisnt someone that likes to get tricky.

BTW, if you're playing in a game where somebody will push all-in on the river with nothing but the nut low, in 5 card, with 300BB+ stacks, then you are playing in a very very good game.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:15 AM

I'll raise with a bunch of hands, but like most players in our game, they usually have AA, or A2 baby in them...sometimes you'll see all all high cards raise too = people aren't crazy with preflop raises in this game.

Agree with the good game comment...this guy got quartered four times yesterday going all in with low (smaller stacks, however, more like 600). Although, as this hand shows, it puts a TON of pressure unless you have the nut high. In addition, he only got paid off because he's pushed before with the low - a couple other players I would never consider calling.

The funny thing is we played a hand last month which was very similar, and I knew he had quads from his body language/betting patterns. I managed to check the turn, and only lose 125 on the river with my top full house. BIG DIFFERENCE - there was no low. Had a high card come on river, he may have checked hoping to get me to bet or made a medium size bet, say 300.

As I said in my OP, I'm most upset because a bell went off in my head warning me of quads, I was concerned about having no low, yet I shoved my chips in so quickly, without any thought at all.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys should play a game that is a likely to produce more action....
Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 PM

Given that the hand is no limit, it seems worthwhile to me to at least talk about "what percentage of the time does my very strong second nut hand have to lose high for calling to be wrong here". Except of course that it should probably be in the O/8 forum.

Maybe I just underrate the low content thread.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys should play a game that is a likely to produce more action....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my personal favorite is either 6 card 7 or better or 6 card Hollywood, 2 games where I still can't remember to bet/raise only stone cold nuts, check/call with nothing worse than second nut and otherwise fold as unlike live hold 'em where I can often maneuver, someone else will certainly have the nuts if I don't.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Screennames / sites they play on?

Barry