Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:37 AM

Default what is everyones position on tourneys

Every MSNL winning player is incredibly plus EV in the 20r,30r, 162-supers....etc.....even if we havent played a tourney in a month we are plus EV....I'm just wondering why some of you do or don't play tourneys etc.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: what is everyones position on tourneys

because every time i do i wonder 4 hours later wtf i am doing in this stupid thing when i would really rather be doing something else, and im burning out my poker brain for the day on quite likely winning nothing or a little bit more than my entry fee back. <3 2 h8 tourneys
Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 AM

While tournaments might be +ev for about everyone in this forum most people don't play them because they're soo boring, stupid and annoying. And if you're a winner at msnl you probably make more in terms of ev whit multitabling cg. And cg is more fun and challenging. Plus you can quit anytime and do something else.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 AM

effective stacks are generally more shallow in tournaments than in cash games. the more shallow effective stacks, the weaker is a good player's edge over a bad player.

on the other hand, there are more bad players in tournaments than there are in cash games.

i don't play them because they seem boring to me, but i'm considering adding them to my routine to change things up a little.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:06 AM

what everyone else has said.. its mindnumbingly boring and i want to kill myself after a few hours.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM

i feel ive played enough of tourneys and cash to have a solid answer:

successful MSNL players, even SSNL players, have a higher true hourly doing what they do than their assumed ROI in tournaments, with far lesser variance.

now, if the player doesnt mind adding tournaments to their schedule of play, then they obviously should. but tournaments can be a pain in the ass for numerous reasons. they require large stretches of time commitment and results can often be heartbreaking.

anyways, i solve this by only playing larger tournaments on sundays, 1 day a week if I'm in the mood I play more. to pass up sunday tournaments is basically throwing money away, as it is the most +EV tournaments during the week and it offers an ROI that is worthy to the MSNL player, and offers big scores (100k+) that are appealing.

And if you are someone like me, who was only up a decent amount until his huge tournament score, then obviously tournaments are great.

but really, you're just better off investing a lot of money and time into getting better at cash, and that includes coaching and playing a lot. tournaents have their purpose, i just happen to hold the opinion that they shouldn't be considered for regular play for liveEV considerations and your money is better invested elsewhere.

except sundays, where you can go LOL donkaments and not be wrong in doing so.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they require large stretches of time commitment and results can often be heartbreaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

heartbreaking is right. tournaments mess with my mind so much when i go deep and something goes wrong. what kills me is the thought that if i just went a different way with a really marginal decision, i likely would've made a relatively life-changing amount of money. i've gone over certain things that happened in my head for days after the knockout blow.. can really affect me. i think it's hard to be immune to that, at least to some degree.

of course the flip side is that actually breaking through and winning an MTT is an incredible feeling, probably one of the biggest thrills poker has to offer. winning is of course the exception and arguably can't outweigh all the unsatisfying conclusions so, for someone like me, playing MTTs is probably a lot more -happiness EV than cash (but yet i still play them sometimes because i'm a sick person)

also, loldonkaments
Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but really, you're just better off investing a lot of money and time into getting better at cash, and that includes coaching and playing a lot. tournaents have their purpose, i just happen to hold the opinion that they shouldn't be considered for regular play for liveEV considerations and your money is better invested elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy
Old 11-17-2007, 08:31 AM

bakes i know ur a strong tournament player and that can be ur thing, but if someone like sctrojans for instance tells me his hourly is $X (him being one of the few online players in tournaments capable of hitting that fake "long run" and i know i can make more in cash, and this is BEFORE online poker is legal again, then u do the math ldo
Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 AM

Bakes (7:31:59 AM): i'm gonna be on tv
Clayton (6:32:19 AM): SO THERE
Bakes (7:32:04 AM): and [censored] cardplayer babes
Clayton signed off at 7:32:14 AM.
Clayton is offline and will receive your IMs when signing back in.
Bakes (7:32:29 AM): and everyone will stake me if i go busto cause i'm a Poker Donkament Pro. you on the other hand will always be a degen
Bakes (7:32:36 AM): pronounced dehg-ehn