Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Default \"if you\'ve got quads, you\'re good\"

Live 12 game.

Villain has only been at the table for maybe 20 minutes and I don't recognize him. He's been playing very few hands, though, so he's not super loose. He could be a super rock or just an average player running cold, though. He's been quiet and not talking much.

PF
Villain raises UTG and I 3-bet next in with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folds around to villain who calls.

Flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, 7.5 SB)
Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain check-raises, Hero calls.

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players, 5.5 BB)
Villain bets, Hero raises, Villain 3-bets, hero...?

After I tanked for a second, villain says "if you've got quads, you're good".
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: \"if you\'ve got quads, you\'re good\"

I wouldnt raise this turn. If hes running some crazy bluff, I want to let him continue on the river. If he has you beat, he can make you fold you 2 outer. I dont know what he means by "if you've got quads, you're good" but its probably not a good thing for us. I'd fold here.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 PM

When he says that i get suspicious. Why would any sane person tell you he has a full house? Why would he wait to raise UTG with a hand that includes an 8? When I get suspicious I typically call down. I'd have to be there though. Time for another summit epa(great minnesota beer), soooo tasty..........call down! [censored] that guy!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 PM

I guess call down, but pretty sure he has AA or quads himself. He might even have a goof ball hand like 98s. I see live lagfish who try to play tight in the beginning but lose their patience about 30 minutes into a session. I would like to see what this guy played like this though.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:13 AM

Interesting spot. You'll virtually never get 3-bet here unless
a) he is a thinking player who has AA.
b) he raised light A8 or decided to get wacky with 86s.
c) he is on tilt and is stubbornly bluff 3-betting

I'd probably call down because I suck. But if he's not on tilt then folding is likely better.

You may want to try the Hellmuth method. It helps me make "big" folds when you just know you're beat. Just whine and say "How does this always happen to me?" Stand up and groan. Say "Unbelieveable!" and fling your cards into the muck.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:36 AM

Well it could mean he has 44 and if you have 88 you're good. Or, it could mean he has an 8 and if you have 44 you're good. Anything else, and you figure to have 4 outs to win (any 8 or any king). He could also have AA, but then he'd be the type to use patter to throw you off, which means you shouldn't give it much weight anyway.

I tend not to listen to an unknown player's patter in a big pot. I'd call the turn for sure (pot's big enough to spike a 4-outer), and make a decision on the river. With no further information against an unknown, I'm probably paying off there as well.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt raise this turn. If hes running some crazy bluff, I want to let him continue on the river. If he has you beat, he can make you fold you 2 outer. I dont know what he means by "if you've got quads, you're good" but its probably not a good thing for us. I'd fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops. Misread it. Turn raise is good. Id be inclined to call down unless he said what he did. I fold because of that.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Poker is a game of experience so I can help you here based on experience. The only time I told someone "You better have quads" was 7CS, I had aces full in five and my opponent was betting like he had quad deuces. I sucked out the fourth ace on the river, dragging maybe the biggest pot I've ever seen. So, based on experience, a suckout will get there and I would have to advise you to fold.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks all for the input.

At the time, I kinda figured he really should have AA - his UTG raise should exclude most hands with an 8 or 4 in them, and if he can hand read than he knows that the only hand that I could have that's beating him is exactly 88, hence the quads comment.

But something still didn't feel right. His comment sounded a little desperate (why else would he say something so obvious - of course quads are good), which was odd. So I did what I always do when confused in this spot and I called down.

Results: <font color="white">He bet a blank river and I called. I said "aces are good", he says "I don't have aces", and I flipped up my Ks to take down the pot. I really should have made him show, but once he said that he didn't have aces, I didn't want to be a dick and make him show what we both knew was going to be the losing hand. He said later that he knew I had something like Ks and he was just trying to bluff me out.</font>
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players, 5.5 BB)
Villain bets, Hero raises, Villain 3-bets, hero...?

After I tanked for a second, villain says "if you've got quads, you're good".

[/ QUOTE ]

woah i missed this hand. but that detail, of you tanking, then him talking, big big big tell.

good call down tho ns.