Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Top pair, no kicker OOP

Pokerstars, 5-table $5+0.50, level 6. Table is 7 handed, and I try to steal with A2o one off the button.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button (t3120)
SB (t1345)
BB (t3167)
UTG (t2770)
MP1 (t3950)
MP2 (t3896)
Hero (t2624)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t700</font>, Button calls t700, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Now I'm down to 1924 w/ pot at 1700.

Flop: (t1700) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

Thanks,

-Tom
Old 08-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Top pair, no kicker OOP

I will steal with any two but not generally with rag aces. Now you're here check-push or just push.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will steal with any two but not generally with rag aces. Now you're here check-push or just push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Ace-rag is going to get you into more trouble than good. In spots like this you can expect to be against a bigger ace a fair amount of the time. I fold this preflop 99% of the time. You still have time to chip up and you can find better spots and hands to do it with.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:28 AM

It sounds like you haven't thought the hand through all the way before playing. You just said "Hmmm, first in, 3 left to act after me, I think I'll try to steal."

Have you been stealing any before? A little? A lot? It impacts how others might perceive your play.

Also, no one steals with 100% success rate. For simplicity, let's say your steal success rate is 30%. This means two out of every three times you are going to get called, or reraised.

In these cases what are you intending to do? What kind of flop are you hoping for? What do you think the opponent would cold call with, and what kind of flop is he looking for?

With the hand you played, other than the obvious straight, trips or two pair, flopping top pair is about the best you can hope for, although on this board it is vulnerable. I think you have to bet out with the Ace.

In hindsight, Ace weak kicker is an oft-misplayed hand because it is so easily dominated. I probably muck this quite a bit of the time.