Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 12:14 PM

Default No motivation to study?

At high school i was very bad, but at college i cant find fking motivation to do something at all. If i would study like 1.5 hour a day I would get good results, but i cant find the discipline, and keep posponing stuff. Im just too obsessed with poker. Iv had some pretty good results, so basicly im stuck between dropping out and trying to earn a boat load of cash with poker or just combine the two (which is very possible).

basicly i think dropping out is NOT an option, but still everytime i have to study it just crawls into my head. The course im doing isnt really boring or something, its just that im lazy or that i need to wake the fk up or something, but easier said then done.

Also im 19 years old. Any other pple who had this, and how did they fix it? Im not a lazy bum who expects stuff to just happen, when i find something i really like i go for it 200%, like poker. I put in a ton of work to get better at it and to get hands in, i just wish i could do the same with college.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: No motivation to study?

I have the same problem, but dont have a clue what to do against it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Same here, i play poker pretty much everyday i have some big assignments to do and cant be arsed to get started on them i have lost all my motivation i would just love to sit around playing poker running good and making my same monies without considering getting a degree but thats just not gonna happen, i need to get my degree as i want to be successful and earn a decent wage but it does frustrate the [censored] out of you when your earning money playing poker but you just not that much of a risky person to pursue it and think [censored] it im gonna start playing professionally. You dont really need an answer to this question here you just need to get your work out and get cracking..worst thing his my 2nd year in has become really boring and i am finding hard to show interest.. theres alot of people in the same boat..
Old 10-28-2007, 02:58 PM

yeah i pick up stuff to study when at home and after like 30 minutes i want to play poker lol. And i just lost all concentration. Or i want to go to friends or do something else.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 AM

well, i finished college while playing poker. i didn't study a lot and played lots of poker. the best advice i can give you is to study for an hour or something before playing poker. you can see the 5 hours of poker that await you like a prize for the hour of studying. also, when an exam is coming up you can use the self-exclusion feature of the poker sites (not sure all the sites have it, but they should). hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Lack of self-control and discipline is hardly the hallmark of a good player. If you judge school to be more important then poker then study.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lack of self-control and discipline is hardly the hallmark of a good player. If you judge school to be more important then poker then study.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I don't think that's what it's about. All the top players have addictive personalities. I don't see any of them studying for an exam. Most of them droped out of school because of their "addiction" to poker. I don't think you've done poker and college at the same time. It's hard, really hard. So I feel for OP. You can never like college as much as poker, but it's something that has to be done. Try a little harder OP, you'll be happy with yourself in the end. If you want to talk more about it pm me. Also, don't mind posts like the one quoted.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you've done poker and college at the same time. It's hard, really hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I played poker all though undergrad and law school.

Anyone who is addicted to poker is a bad poker player. Good players play to make money. Anyone who plays because they need a dopamine high is never going to be a good player.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM

I had the same problem when i was in college but the only difference was even though i was obssessed with poker I was break even player.

I am taking a year off now and workin at an IBank. I feel real world work is much easier than college for me.

In september I hope I can go back and just [censored] finish my degree.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you've done poker and college at the same time. It's hard, really hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I played poker all though undergrad and law school.

Anyone who is addicted to poker is a bad poker player. Good players play to make money. Anyone who plays because they need a dopamine high is never going to be a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah what about david benyamine then lol. That guy is super addicted, plays like 24/7 and is up a ton. I play alot because im addicted to making money, and i find the game very very fun to play. I can do without it now, (iv blocked myself for like 1.5 week). but its hard lol. And law school is easy tho, what i do is also easy for now, but if your going to medical school or something its much much harder.