Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Considerations beginning my attempts at LHE.

Assuming you're better than the average opponent you'll run into in the micro LHE games (fairly safe assumption, as you've played poker before & I'm guessing understand that top pair/no kicker is not the nuts), short-handed play will give you a bigger edge over your opponents. You'll be able to see more flops (though still far less than they do), and you'll get in more hands/hour. The flip side is that variance is much higher in short-handed than it is in full ring, for obvious reasons, and the aggression level is considerably higher. I bring up the aggression level because that's one thing that many NL players, and especially NL MTT players, have trouble adjusting to at first in LHE--a flop cap does not always mean top set. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you're better than the average opponent you'll run into in the micro LHE games (fairly safe assumption, as you've played poker before & I'm guessing understand that top pair/no kicker is not the nuts), short-handed play will give you a bigger edge over your opponents. You'll be able to see more flops (though still far less than they do), and you'll get in more hands/hour. The flip side is that variance is much higher in short-handed than it is in full ring, for obvious reasons, and the aggression level is considerably higher. I bring up the aggression level because that's one thing that many NL players, and especially NL MTT players, have trouble adjusting to at first in LHE--a flop cap does not always mean top set. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I'm going with Full-Ring :P. I love 6-max if it's all I'm doing, but I Multi a little to keep me from going ADD like I'm doing right now, so full ring permits that a bit more I'm guessing.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 AM

Looks like you're rolled for some hot, wet, .5/1$ action. Fire up 2 or 3 tables for starters and if things get messy, refine your game at .25/.5.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you're rolled for some hot, wet, .5/1$ action. Fire up 2 or 3 tables for starters and if things get messy, refine your game at .25/.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like some trap to get all my donk money, isn't it? :P
Old 07-24-2007, 01:47 AM

I really noticed very little difference in the quality of players when I moved from 0.05/0.1 up to .25/.50, and .5/1 even, though I'm sure this varies from site to site.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 AM

Definitely doesn't mean I'm going to be better or as good as the dollar field, however.

One of the things I'm concerned about is moving up and down to find a limit I can feel accustomed to (I'm liking 10/20...and so far winning but that will change eventually).
Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 AM

You seem to have some pretty big misunderstandings about LHE based on your first 3 hand posts. No shame in hanging out a little lower while you get your beraducation here in the forum. Once you start posting hands that people think you played well, and more importantly, once you giving other people advice in other hand posts that the rest of the forum agrees with, you'll be able to shoot up in stakes quickly.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 AM

Exactly what I mean by starting low, wookie. Rome wasn't built in a day, it took me months to hone my MTT game to turn a profit, and I'm willing to take the time at lower stakes and build a side roll. I figure the side roll itself will tell me when I should consider moving up.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 AM

Eh, if you play long enough at the nanolimits to actually have a good sense of what your win rate should be (50-100k hands), you'll be wasting your time relative to what you'd probably be capable of earning by then. Gauge it based on your understanding and on feedback from the forum. Put in 5-10k at your current limits and respond to a lot of posts. You should probably be ready to move up by then. Then do it again. And again. If you're playing more than 10k hands at a limit below 1/2, it'd better have been because of a really bad run of cards.