Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 AM

Default NLTRN $11: Calling shoves is fun

Poker Stars, $11 + $0.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds

Pre-Flop: (150) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
SB calls 50, Hero checks

Flop: (200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 135</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to 1,100 and is All-In</font>, Hero:
[?] Calls (like a lumberjack)
[ ] Folds (like a scared little girl)

I think this is a call, but I'm not entirely sure - I think it's close. My thinking is that flush draw + one over = possibly 12 outs twice, and I only need 965/2400 = ~40% equity to make this a call. The problem is that I have a hard time when I try to come up with hands he could be doing this with.

Oh yes, reads: early on, he was pretty passive postflop, but willing to stick chips in preflop. He limped his button a lot, and would invariably call when I raised his limps. He was getting frustrated, as evidenced by his aggressive allcaps whining when he tried to trap me (checked flop and turn) but I made two pair (on turn and river) and took a bunch of his chips. He also really liked the word 'noob' and it was important to him to tell me that he usually plays 33s-200s. Earlier in the match, he reraised my 3BB pf raise AI (~40BB) with AQ, proudly showing it when I folded. At this stage in the match though (25/50 and 50/100), he's been rather tight preflop.

Any thoughts on this type of player's likely range?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: NLTRN $11: Calling shoves is fun

Range: mostly pairs, some flush draws, and occasional random bluffs
Call: yes

The thing you are really scared of is bigger flush draws and given your read (passive postflop, whiny) that seems less likely than normal.