Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Am I allowed to fold a set on a dry board at 50 nl? PLEAAASE

[ QUOTE ]

But if you start doing it here, you are probably folding waaaaayyyy too much in other spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't make a habit of folding sets. In fact I don't believe I have ever folded a set on a dry board in my life. So why start now? well I didn't I called.

I find myself in similar situations about once a session.
I will be put into a situation where I know I am probably way behind but I have to call because I beat his alleged "range". However a players range is only as wide or as narrow as you make it. How do you make it? By observing the player and remembering how he plays hands so that you can use the information to make better decisions in the future.

So if my read tells me that a certain player would bet a top pair hand when checked to should I not listen to it? If he checks the flop when checked to I should eliminate top pair from his range. Should I not? So when the turn brings the bricky J and all of a sudden wakes up and raises the PFRer The only hand I can put him on is a set. So this is my read.

In poker we are constantly going by our reads. It is what makes us money. So why should I all of a sudden completely disregard my read and make a call. Because I have a set? I know the only reason I called is because I know that it is stupid to fold a set on a dry board. And in most cases I believe it is. However I do think that it HAS To be so cut and dry I think it should at least be open for discussion. I don't believe it always has to be " YOU HAVE A SET, YOU HAVE TO GO BROKE 100% OF THE TIME THERE."