Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: dealt 3 cards now what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, seriously, it's a misdeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, seriously, it's not a misdeal. At least not in most places.

Here's how it works in my room, YMMV:

If there's been no action and the player hasn't looked, the floor picks one that then becomes the burn.

If there's been no action and the player has looked, sometimes it's a dead hand and sometimes the floor picks one and exposes it and it becomes the burn.

If there's been action, the floor picks one for the burn and kills the hand.

Keep in mind I may be wrong on the second two, or it may vary by floorperson, but I know it's never a misdeal. (...unless more than one person has the improper number)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is standard but I'll have to go through the various scenarios.

If the third card is the last card dealt, e.g. either the button gets two cards at the end or the dealer keeps dealing past the button to the SB, then I think your procedure of the dealer chosing a card as the burn card is correct.

If a player gets two cards in a row but the deal can be stopped and the correct extra card can be given to the proper player, then there should be no misdeal for that (before anybody looks at the cards of course.)

If the deal includes two or more extra cards, that is clearly a misdeal. Although if you can clearly identify which two cards they were like the first to SB and the second to BB, you should be able to back that up and restore order.

I believe it would also be a misdeal if the extra card was not clearly the last on dealt like UTG had three cards. This would be due to causing cards to be dealt out of sequence. And it should be obvious that an out of sequence event occurred if a player like UTG has three cards while the button or SB getting an extra last card can be rectified.

And finally, the player with three cards will have his hand declared dead if there is action by the first two players after the blinds before he stops the game.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:25 PM

While playing in a different room than usual, one player had three cards. Floor came over, picked one, turned it up, that was the burn.

So I'm tellin' ya, at least in some regions, neither dead hand nor misdeal is norm. I really don't understand the rationale for a misdeal. Can someone explain why everybody should be punished for a simple easily rectifiable mistake that has minimal impact on the hand?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While playing in a different room than usual, one player had three cards. Floor came over, picked one, turned it up, that was the burn.

So I'm tellin' ya, at least in some regions, neither dead hand nor misdeal is norm. I really don't understand the rationale for a misdeal. Can someone explain why everybody should be punished for a simple easily rectifiable mistake that has minimal impact on the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that in general, unexposed cards are simply random cards. The same would apply to errors dealing the board cards.

However, there is a general feeling that keeping the order of the original stub as much as possible is the best way to go. Given the randomness of the unexposed cards, this is an irrational thought however.

So nobody will be able to answer your question in a logical fashion. The only thing we can do is try to develop universal rules so when we play in different games in different rooms, we can expect each situation to be handled in an expected, common manner.

In the end, I think there is a general feeling among poker players that might border on superstitious but nonetheless lots of players don't like seeing the cards get out of order. It is completely rational to simply grab an extra card and call it the burn card. But like I said, that might not sit well with all players who like "original order" preserved in all circumstances.

We need to pick a way to proceed in these circumstances one way or the other and just live with it rather that making random decisions in different rooms.

Personally, I could live with either way of doing but I feel is should be standard.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 PM

you pick the best 2 and then ask if anyone else would like the other one, like go fish
Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone plays Holdem except for the guy who was dealt 3 cards. He plays Crazy Pineapple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, or, if you picked up only one Ace, throw it up your sleeve for later use. Then, the next time you're dealt A/4 offsuit, suddenly you've got AA.

~Mike
Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Misdeal

Reminds me
B&M LHE
I'm seat 10, sb.
The button is carelessly close to my right so I get 3rd card, pick em up.
AAA
ugh
Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 PM

If I remember right its only a misdeal if the player with 3 cards tells everyone else before 2 action's have taken place in the hand. If he's sitting in the 3rd seat and the first 2 players have folded & then he realises, then its too late & everyone else plays the hand as normal.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I remember right its only a misdeal if the player with 3 cards tells everyone else before 2 action's have taken place in the hand. If he's sitting in the 3rd seat and the first 2 players have folded & then he realises, then its too late & everyone else plays the hand as normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct I think. I have also seen places that do not consider folding to be "significant action" so there would have to be two raises or limps for the hand to be dead.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:53 AM

I was playing in a B&M a few months ago and was UTG in a spread limit game with KK. I was cutting out a raise when the dealer called a misdeal because one player had three cards.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:19 PM

I delt a hand at home with me and a good friend, I had kk ready to go, he had aa, board was rainbow, river he raises I push he calls and shows a10, but he had aa when he squeezed it out during the deal. He had 3 cards, we did a split, i luckd out.

Should be a dead hand either way.