Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: No Country For Old Men

[ QUOTE ]
This movie sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]
You make a compelling case.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM

i'm assuming the book provides a more complete explanation of the parties involved in looking for the money. can someone who has read the book provide some of the background for some characters like the guy who hired woody harrelson, the guys who hired chigurh, how the mexicans tracked down the package before chigurh gunned them down in the hotel, etc.

would appreciate anything you have time to describe for us. thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm assuming the book provides a more complete explanation of the parties involved in looking for the money. can someone who has read the book provide some of the background for some characters like the guy who hired woody harrelson, the guys who hired chigurh, how the mexicans tracked down the package before chigurh gunned them down in the hotel, etc.

would appreciate anything you have time to describe for us. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the Mexicans tracked it down doesn't need the book to clear up. They also had a device like Anton. He complains about it "you gave them one too!". It seems like the person that hired Anton was the same guy that hired Woody Harrelson.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the Mexicans tracked it down doesn't need the book to clear up. They also had a device like Anton. He complains about it "you gave them one too!". It seems like the person that hired Anton was the same guy that hired Woody Harrelson.

[/ QUOTE ]

it did seem that way, but i'd like a little confirmation about what that actual relationship was. is it definite that the 2 guys chigurh killed at the drug deal site were working with the guy who hired harrelson? were the mexicans also hired by that same person? was the guy behind the desk part of the organization that was buying the drugs or selling the drugs?

less interested in speculation by people who have only seen the movie, because i can do that myself, but background information from the book that was left out of the movie.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM

The two guys Chigurh killed at the drug deal weren't necessarily working with the guy who hired harrelson, but he gave them the device, which could have been done at a cost (selling it).
Anyway, in this thread people have commented on those questions you asked, in particular with respect to the person that hired harrelson. GTL commented on it and if I recall correctly, he said the book wasn't very explicit about that guy.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The two guys Chigurh killed at the drug deal weren't necessarily working with the guy who hired harrelson, but he gave them the device, which could have been done at a cost (selling it).
Anyway, in this thread people have commented on those questions you asked, in particular with respect to the person that hired harrelson. GTL commented on it and if I recall correctly, he said the book wasn't very explicit about that guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure that you can figure out exactly who everyone is working for with the book. some of it is vague and would require you to reread certain parts a bunch of times.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM

when he goes to kill the guy in the office, the other guy tells him he gave the mexicans a second transponder.

the reason he hired woody harrelson was because Chigurh killed 5 of his men (2 in desert, and 3 mexicans in hotel) and he thought he was a loose cannon so he brought in woody but Chigurh took him out.

they guy behind the desk was most likely just a middle man for whoever the boss was.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 AM

I'am going out on a limb, and predicting an academy award for best movie.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 AM

The mexicans aren't working for Stephen Root's character, they're the other aggrieved party in the [censored] drug deal. They are out both the money and the drugs and as a gesture of good faith they are given another transponder.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 PM

A few things:

This was the best movie I have seen this year. I should say it is in top movies I have seen in the theater. There was a definite wow factor with it, at least for me there was.

In the end I thought it possible, not likely, that Anton was in the other motel room. After all, Moss was smart enough to use a different room the first time and it was not altogether clear if that was his room or the woman with the beer's room. Who knows because it did not look possible for Anton to hide anywhere in that room. I am going to rewatch this movie to see it was at all possible for him to be in another room.

Did anyone else catch the 10 spot when he was flipping through the bundles of cash? He flipped through the bundles and one had a 10 spot. Then he started flipping through the next that had all the singles. No big deal, just thought it funny.

The coin flip thing was weird. It I think gave Anton a little bit of conscience without wrecking his code. He is so nuts that he can not out right let people go. Especially in the end with the wife. He realizes that killing her has no point but he can not let her go............. flip a coin. I guess that is his way of showing mercy and not wrecking his code. For some odd reason that coin flip thing really fascinated me. It was a great study into human behavior.
I think I can watch the scene with the old guy in the gas station a 1000 times over and not get sick of it.