Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: SNG Book Announcement:

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm now certain that CM is not an AMAZING SnG player. He refuses to give out his SS-stats, only because it will hurt his "edge." He will certainly be getting a decent amount of money, considering he gives out a successful SS, and writes a valuable book. Colin, your stats are more vital to your book, then to your edge. The profit you would be making, if you were crushing the SnGs isn't going to be threatened, due to the compensation and revenue you recieve from the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost zero people are currently beating the 300+ buyin games on stars. he probably doesnt want people berating him because his graph is breakeven or something
Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm now certain that CM is not an AMAZING SnG player. He refuses to give out his SS-stats, only because it will hurt his "edge." He will certainly be getting a decent amount of money, considering he gives out a successful SS, and writes a valuable book. Colin, your stats are more vital to your book, then to your edge. The profit you would be making, if you were crushing the SnGs isn't going to be threatened, due to the compensation and revenue you recieve from the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most jerks who buy his book couldn't care less about his ROI in SNGS...or will not use it as a stimulus to decide whether or not to purchase his book.

Meanwhile people who do care about SNGs this much will probably buy his book one way or another because it it published by twoplustwo!

So this entire thread is to some degree irrelevant. But certainly making known his results will definitely not have a dramatic effect on his book sales.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 AM

Just buy the book 'cause he seems like such a nice young man.
He must be the most polite poster ever on 2p2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Standardizing "Holdem" would help too for the same reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

The correct spelling is hold 'em (short for hold them). I don't think you can stop people from misspelling it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The term, "holdem" has been in use for years so it seems optimalization supercedes the desire for correctness.

http://www.reference.com/search?r=13&q=Holdem

Again, trivial except over time it makes sense to simplify which implies a reduction in the use of apostrophes where possible and the number of words. Holdem is better*.

I predict and hope over the years a few more ideas would be standardized, and 2+2 seems to be the natural leader for change. I hope Mason seriously thinks about this:

I was just memorizing the Jam or Fold tables provided by Chen and Ankenman, p.136 of "Mathematics of Poker."

This task is easier if one labels unsuited hands by having the lower ranked card precede the higher ranked card, e.g. 89 56 9J QK are all unsuited and need no "o" to define this.

Suited hands have the other sequence, higher rank listed first: e.g. 98 65 J9 KQ without the letter "s" afterwards.

According to my rough estimates, this syntax would reduce editing errors by about 2-5% and it would clean up the text somewhat.

I suggest that we move to this notation wholesale, but it is inevitable that most people will scoff at first, asserting that it would add no value, etc. The best approach is in the hands of our influential poohbah, decisive leadership for the greater good of the domain of poker publishing. Recall the resistance in the chess world to algebraic notation over descriptive, that world still isn't perfect as you cannot deduce from a chess diagram the
possibilities of castling, en passant, or who's to move (within the 64 squares).

The semi-silly part that follows is partly just for your amusement:

Next, there's the colon, the semi-colon, the comma and the period that can be inserted between the two cards (not to mention the perimeter) but of course using all four is silly, at most I'd propose the following (yes, it does get ridiculous, as we are not needing to move to morse code):

A semi-colon could signify that the hand could be either suited or non-suited, as either could apply to the discussion in the text (8;9 5;6);

A dot or period could denote that the hand is not suited, and if it was suited (since the author can't remember the hand exactly) it doesn't eventually matter in the discussion as we know there wasn't a pertinent two flush after the flop. (well, this whole idea is just silly, but in the vernacular it means, don't worry if it was suited, I'm telling you a story so badly that I can't remember!)

Note that there are four types of space-efficient punctuation I've mentioned, the joke being that in the future there will be suits of these descriptions instead of spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs.

This silliness allowed me to state the next logical step in the criticism of the four-colour deck. If it is a catastrophe because it allows more efficacious angle shooting, then a one (or zero) color deck would be the next best solution!

The four punctuation aids reminds me of a little article I read in the paper in the mid-70s, that some parents in Brazil named their four children colon, semi-colon, comma and period, and it didn't seem like a joke article. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you think I have a lot of time on my hands in addition to memorizing tables, you'd be correct!

I chose to post in this thread with the hopes that Mason would see it, given that we've mentioned similar matters here, there's no need to get crucified for starting another thread about such matters...

* in twenty years, optical palindromes will replace the words ambulance, fire and police so that what we see in the rear view mirror will be the same as what we read directly.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 AM

Thank you for the information concerning the colon. When I was younger I didn't think about the colon at all. But now that I am almost 50 I am hearing more and more about the colon and how important it is. Can't wait to get mine checked.

Have a sense of humor!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Upon further reflection I realized why these .,;: helped!

I just find symbols with fewer meanings than the traditional words easier to process and memorize.

Viz.

. = spade
, = heart
; = diamond
: = club

The above could be useful for international chat (with someone who doesn't speak English) or quick email descriptions of your hands.

For holdem and omaha, I suggest internally nested symbols to allow normal punctuation to function without confusion:
9:;K is 9 of clubs and King of diamonds; 9K:;.,4A is the same plus 4 of spades and ace of hearts for an omaha hand.

For stud, the exclusion of commas gets tricky.
However, you can denote the streets by using the shift key above the street numeral, so third street is # and 4th street is $, 5th=%, 6th=^ and 7th=& ... use these as prefixes to a street, so %9:;K means, "fifth street was 9 of clubs and King of diamonds."

Mnemonic aids for the suits are:

. = singularity = the big symbol for Ace of spades = Black hole = spade

, = a bleeding dot (.) ... hence the dripping of the blood resembles the comma's tail = the presence of redness

; = heterogeneity hence a common symbol binding heterosexual couples is a diamond. Also, the presence of
a comma implies redness

: = two of the clover leaflets of the club symbol, and the absence of a comma like symbol means there's no red.

Sense of humor? Do you realize how many jokes are hidden in that post? It's hard work, being funny! I'm not pretending to write the gospel, just suggesting something that might work in certain contexts (I'm aware that any ace can represent a singularity, just providing an aid).

Of course, some of this can look awfully ugly, so I am not necessarily saying it should all be standardized into all books, just the self published pamphlets for guys who only own typewriters. (See, that was a joke!) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don't tell Mason that such notation would discourage the less dedicated players from bothering to read great texts thus leaving more money on the table for the dedicated. Let him think that the lazy players will still buy his books and leave them on their bookshelves for learning by osmosis.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Upon further reflection I realized why these .,;: helped!

I just find symbols with fewer meanings than the traditional words easier to process and memorize.

Viz.

. = spade
, = heart
; = diamond
: = club

The above could be useful for international chat (with someone who doesn't speak English) or quick email descriptions of your hands.

For holdem and omaha, I suggest internally nested symbols to allow normal punctuation to function without confusion:
9:;K is 9 of clubs and King of diamonds; 9K:;.,4A is the same plus 4 of spades and ace of hearts for an omaha hand.

For stud, the exclusion of commas gets tricky.
However, you can denote the streets by using the shift key above the street numeral, so third street is # and 4th street is $, 5th=%, 6th=^ and 7th=& ... use these as prefixes to a street, so %9:;K means, "fifth street was 9 of clubs and King of diamonds."

Mnemonic aids for the suits are:

. = singularity = the big symbol for Ace of spades = Black hole = spade

, = a bleeding dot (.) ... hence the dripping of the blood resembles the comma's tail = the presence of redness

; = heterogeneity hence a common symbol binding heterosexual couples is a diamond. Also, the presence of
a comma implies redness

: = two of the clover leaflets of the club symbol, and the absence of a comma like symbol means there's no red.

Sense of humor? Do you realize how many jokes are hidden in that post? It's hard work, being funny! I'm not pretending to write the gospel, just suggesting something that might work in certain contexts (I'm aware that any ace can represent a singularity, just providing an aid).

Of course, some of this can look awfully ugly, so I am not necessarily saying it should all be standardized into all books, just the self published pamphlets for guys who only own typewriters. (See, that was a joke!) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don't tell Mason that such notation would discourage the less dedicated players from bothering to read great texts thus leaving more money on the table for the dedicated. Let him think that the lazy players will still buy his books and leave them on their bookshelves for learning by osmosis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM

My mother told me never to talk to inanimate objects.

Mason, can you chime in to stop the hurtin'?

I guess I'll put off introducing you to my little friends, there are thirteen of them and they'd like to join your 52 card deck:

A! K! Q! J! ... 2!

That would be fun, a 65 card deck for holdem and then we'll see how you do, up there, without all the assistance! (Buddy Rich)
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: SNG Book Announcement: *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM

I must be missing something on this whole sharkscope deal. Last time I tried to look up on myself, it showed absolutely nothing. I later was told it counts tournaments, but not always smaller Sit'n'gos.

I can only assume there must be some data in there on the author, as this is all cloak & dagger as of now.

Anyhow, that being said, I will probably buy it, whether I think it is poor or not. This is for the same reason I bought Snyder's book. I was all too courious to see what the fighting & arguements were about.

I don't agree with everything Snyder says either, but there were some interesting math concepts in it at least, so I don't feel too gipped [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]