Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: bluffing into 5 people

I dont see why a pocket pair 5s through 10s wouldnt bet the flop though. This is crazy, but not suicidal.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of move is less effective on a board like 442. It's almost a certainty that over-pocket pairs (and sometimes overs) will call you, and will only fold if a broadway hits on the turn. On a board like 10103, it's pretty reasonable to assume that you'll have a good rate of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also pretty reasonable to assume either one of the blinds will checkraise with air or JT.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This kind of move is less effective on a board like 442. It's almost a certainty that over-pocket pairs (and sometimes overs) will call you, and will only fold if a broadway hits on the turn. On a board like 10103, it's pretty reasonable to assume that you'll have a good rate of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also pretty reasonable to assume either one of the blinds will checkraise with air or JT.

[/ QUOTE ]
They could checkraise w/ a T if they have one. Odds are very good that they don't. If they have air, their play is riskier than ours. We're not on the button so it's not an obvious button steal, and it's multiway. Both helps our credibility.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:32 PM

Never show bluffs in an online game - you can't ever be sure the opponent sees it, and as a result the 'information' you thought you gave your opponent might've never gotten there.

I think you get looked up by an overpair to the board. The BB or SB may have 88 or 77 and isn't willing to lead into 4 people OOP but is willing to call a bet and see the turn. The bet's too big and no one believes you have a 4 ever with this bet - only scared money lays down an overpair to the board in this spot.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 PM

All,

First, i would never do this on a TT3 board, as it is so much more likely that a T is out there than a 4.

Second, I am not necessarily representing trips: it's not likely I have them and representing trips doesnt work well at all in general.

I am representing a hand like 77-99: likely the best hand, but one that needs protection. I don't think a lot of people will call me with 55-99, when the pot is already reasonably large and most of them will be OOP for the rest of the hand: what kind of turn will they be calling for? I think they are much more likely to call on TT3 with 55-99 because they know I will be scared of the T and therefore slow down (=cheap showdown for them), whereas they can't expect me to be scared of the 4.

Remember, exactly because I am betting into 5 people I am looking very strong here. I don't think that those who are saying here that my bet looks like a bluff, would ever check raise a bettor into 5 people with air because 'he bet so strong'. Even if you wanted to, you would still have to worry about all the other players left to act.

Last, someone said that overcards might look me up. Do you really think so? With so many people left to act? Only maybe the two people to my right, since they are potentially closing the action, but even for them it looks bad: they will be OOP the rest of the pot and the price on the flop is heavy.

Obviously, this move is not working every time and it's hard to figure if it works often enough to make it profitable in this spot. It deed feel like it would be a good move though, so I was happy when they all folded pretty quickly.

I couldnt resist showing (though I hardly ever show online), thought it might set something off. Next hand I flop nuts with QJ and get it in vs a 3/4 stack with bottom two, but well, I probably didnt need to show my bluff to get action on that hand anyway. Never so sure about showing. Probably counterproductive since it hurts your FE and I more often want people to fold than to call.

Thanks for the advice,

Marnix
Old 06-12-2006, 05:31 PM

and to add what I would do if someone called me:

1) if the button calls me it's the last bet I put in the pot, almost regardless of turn/river.

2) If someone to my right calls me and I don't improve on the turn I check and re-evaluate on river. On a J or 9 river I might call some kind of bet but not much, and might valuebet smallish if it got checked to me again.

3) If someone to my right calls me and a J or 9 lands on the turn I bet somthing in between $45 and $70, as a kind of blocker: small pairs might still call me after which I will check behind on river. I will fold to a c/r on either street or a check call on the turn followed by a riverlead.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 PM

You'll get looked up by a ton of hands just because you're betting from the last position. This is an awful board to bluff at because you can get called by so many hands.

I'd often check raise with nothing or a weak hand/draw in position of one of the other people in the pot because late position players tend to bet light when checked to and fold to pressure.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll get looked up by a ton of hands just because you're betting from the last position. This is an awful board to bluff at because you can get called by so many hands.

I'd often check raise with nothing or a weak hand/draw in position of one of the other people in the pot because late position players tend to bet light when checked to and fold to pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that it matters a ton, but I was on the CO, not the button

edit: which should get me some more respect sine I am not acting upon weakness of the entire table