Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 10:39 AM

Default bluffing into 5 people

PF raiser is dumb and stacked off vs me twice with a very marginal hit from the board on his side.This is ~40 hands ago though, nothing specatular happened on this table the last 2-3 orbits, game was a bit slow. I am by far the most aggressive player at the table.

I had the impression that I could fold out a lot of hands on the flop and that the odds of a big hand being present were very small. Still, I am bluffing into 5 people, something I don't think I have done before (online). What do you guys think, like the bet, hate the bet? And if it works, show or don't show?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero ($965.80)
Button ($305.50)
SB ($88.60)
BB ($364.70)
UTG ($505.50)
MP ($383.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, MP calls $8, Hero calls $8, Button calls $8, SB (poster) calls $6, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($48) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>
Old 06-12-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: bluffing into 5 people

Scary move!! I wouldn't do it. Maybe get the same results from a smaller bet and the large size looks something like a bluff but you may be bluffing with the best hand.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe get the same results from a smaller bet and the large size looks something like a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I think 30 works just as well.
Your bet does look bluffish but most ppl don't have the guts to play back at you.
Someone out there might have a smallish pocket pair and I think they are calling but might fold to a turn bet.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Beermantm:

How can I be bluffing with the best hand? I have J high!

RollinHand:

Why would betting less work better? I want to scare small pocket pairs out, and they are much more likely to call a 2/3 pot bet, than to play back at a potbet, don't you think?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 AM

This kind of move is less effective on a board like 442. It's almost a certainty that over-pocket pairs (and sometimes overs) will call you, and will only fold if a broadway hits on the turn. On a board like 10103, it's pretty reasonable to assume that you'll have a good rate of success.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:58 AM

I like posts that I can answer by the title.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 PM

You've already described UTG (preflop raiser) as a calling station. Plus there are a bunch of other people who might have hit something. check and fold, every ... single ... time.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've already described UTG (preflop raiser) as a calling station. Plus there are a bunch of other people who might have hit something. check and fold, every ... single ... time.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is completely bogus. The board reads 442. There are TWO fours left out there, and nobody's going to play a pair of dueces with any sort of real strength. What could they hit besides maybe an obscure straight draw? Even if you bet out and get repopped, you'll be marked down with some good metagame notes.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spewing!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:04 PM

nh, no need to bet 45 though, 40 works, dont show