Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Default NL25 - Too Loose w/ Middle Set?

I'm prone to call a 3x PFR with a PP OTB and a deep stack all day long. I'm not prone to using acronyms so much, but when in Rome... DUCY?

Anyway, should I have a-feared a set of Kings here? How's my line?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.65
UTG+1: $5.15
MP1: $24.95
MP2: $25.35
MP3: $25
CO: $96.60
Hero: $88
SB: $26.10
BB: $25.15

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $0.75</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($2.35, 3 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8.35, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $8.35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $25</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 calls all-in $13.85</font>.
Uncalled bets: $2.8 returned to Hero.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: NL25 - Too Loose w/ Middle Set?

Bad. Bet bigger. If you're going to go for the weak bet to induce a raise, three-bet MP1s raise, especially with BB still in the hand
Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 PM

you got what you wanted, a set, so bet the flop like you mean it. $2.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, should I have a-feared a set of Kings here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, never. I would fold 77 there in 0% of the cases.

[ QUOTE ]
How's my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop good, flop bad, turn good. bet ~$2 on the flop.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 PM

No reads???

the following is for reasonably tight players 10/5/1 types

I think kings is exactly what villian has here like everytime. i have been playing NL25 for quite some time now and i would say that at least 75% of reasonably tight villians that flop sets with big pairs SLOWPLAY. not only this but they almost never slowplay a one pair hand here on the flop meaning if you get strong action after they check and you bet then you know you are in trouble. so i would bet two thirds to pot on the flop and if i get fooled with try to go to the river cheap. I am never folding this hand however and i dont mind missing a little value now and again because i usually save a ton of money. had he just bet out instead like he should he would get all of my money everytime he has a set because i know most of the time when he bets out he wont have it and will be paying me money.

against any other villian, be they loose, or tricky, i get it all in everytime.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM

The flop bet to me seems ridiculously obvious, but as posted in my other thread, I don't get paid off as much as I'd like. I figured this was a WA/WB situation. People had been giving my big bets some respect. At higher limits or my home games, I bet bigger here, but I thought it would cause folds here. And a re-raise on the flop would surely slow down MP1, no? Don't I want him to think he can bet big and push me off? Considering stack sizes, didn't it work out fairly well without pumping the pot on the flop? Tho' I do understand that as I enter better games, people will be more prone to play back at me, so maybe I should focus on that anyway.

As with the other hand I posted today, many at the table were surprised that I didn't fear being beat. Me, I figure I'll lose with set over set every time, I'm ready to accept that, as well as KK &lt; AA short stacked preflop.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I posted today because the table was so surprised by some of my plays, so it's nice to get the positive reinforcement (and needed criticism). I got my online bankroll through a satellite and then tournament win, and I got a bit over-confident (also trying out new things) and had to slip down in cash game levels to protect my bankroll. I think there are at least some signs I'll be back up again soon.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Sorry, no reads. I'm on a Mac, and I don't think they make any of the tracking software for it.

Oh, results, his QQ is no good, ship it holla balla.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Not too loose, not at all. If he has KK its nothing but a cooler. I'm with you in hating that check raise, that's how every idiot plays their monsters. At the same times its an easy AA/AKs (maybe hearts). I would lean more towards the latter because that turn bet doesn't really say call/raise me please.

As played up that flop bet. I wouldn't go lower that $1.5 and that's still too cheep. Everything else is fine IMO.

EDIT* I only read OP. Just saw results, lol.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 PM

^^lol I don't understand how anyone would be surprised that you went broke with a set of 7s especially at 25NL.

IMO, that flop isn't a WA/WB flop. MP1 could easily have AhXh or 9Ts. The fact that it worked out well this time is irrelevant. Suppose you called and BB called and the turn came 6c and you went broke to 9T. Would that have made just calling a bad play? MP1 is clearly a tard and couldn't deal with the thought that his QQ "got sucked out on". He might've 4-bet shoved over a flop 3-bet anyway, you don't really know. Or here's another thing to consider, suppose MP1 was slowplaying Aces on the flop and after you just called, the turn comes 5h, and now he shuts down because he put you or BB on a heart flush draw. There are a lot of turn cards that are bad for your hand and bad for your value. Pump the flop. Sorry for the essay [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 10:23 PM

No, don't be sorry at all, I'm glad to read everything folks have to say. I'm obviously not an expert yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]