Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: PSA: Walking out of Costco/Sam\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theoretical; you're shoplifting and a Target security guard tries to stop you. What can he do if you just keep walking (imagine he = 5'5", 120lbs, you = big mofo)?

[/ QUOTE ]

He can use any reasonable force to arrest you. Tackle you, beat the crap out of you if you start fighting with him, etc. In reality, after you reach a certain point (usually out of the parking lot) they just let you go because if you get hurt while they are chasing you, they are liable for it. So at that point they just call the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect, as this rule varies wildly from state to state. In many states, they cannot use any force at all.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Video of a semi-successful attempt.
Costco

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is the biggest douche ever. I hope he plays his mind games with the wrong person one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to stab that moron in his poo hole. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a loser. He goes through all that and still shows his receipt at the end. It would have been much more interesting had he gone all the way home and waited for the police to arrive. He didn't have a plan of action once he left the store. Instead, he pussied out when the loss-prevention guy came out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theoretical; you're shoplifting and a Target security guard tries to stop you. What can he do if you just keep walking (imagine he = 5'5", 120lbs, you = big mofo)?

[/ QUOTE ]

He can use any reasonable force to arrest you. Tackle you, beat the crap out of you if you start fighting with him, etc. In reality, after you reach a certain point (usually out of the parking lot) they just let you go because if you get hurt while they are chasing you, they are liable for it. So at that point they just call the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect, as this rule varies wildly from state to state. In many states, they cannot use any force at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should've qualified my response. Anything I said about Loss Prevention and the force they are authorized to use is true about California. The security guard at Target isn't even Loss Prevention though, he's a monkey designed to scare people. He shouldn't be doing anything as far as I know regarding how Target operates.