Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
I had the worst service of my entire life a few weeks ago at Enid's in Williamsburg. Our (hot) hipster brunch waitress clearly hated being reduced to waiting tables and put incredibly little effort into doing her job. After waiting 20 minutes for the check, I seriously considered leaving nothing, or ten percent, or whatever on the $40 check, but still left $6, b/c I've worked in food service forever and am pathologically incapable of stiffing someone or even tipping under 15%. In retrospect, she could have hit me in the head with a ballpeen hammer and I would have still tipped 15%. It's a sickness...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I used to be like that, but not anymore. I had extremely slow and unfriendly service once. Bill came to $15, I only had a $20. I dropped the $20 and left because I really didn't want to wait another 10 minutes to get change.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where I had this for lunch

[/ QUOTE ]
lol at the tomato in the middle.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 AM

Vegas cabbies seem to be real bitches about tipping. Unless you tip 30%+, half of them throw a hissy fit. I've taken to stiffing them now if they say anything negative. My fare ends up being $6.50. I give the guy $8 and he starts bitching about being tipped "only a dollar." Wtf dude? [censored] you. I took the $2 back and threw him 50 cents.

It's ridiculous. This happens at least half the time.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 AM

two things. A rude server, and making me wait while its not busy.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vegas cabbies seem to be real bitches about tipping. Unless you tip 30%+, half of them throw a hissy fit. I've taken to stiffing them now if they say anything negative. My fare ends up being $6.50. I give the guy $8 and he starts bitching about being tipped "only a dollar." Wtf dude? [censored] you. I took the $2 back and threw him 50 cents.

It's ridiculous. This happens at least half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I hate tipping. People think of it as a granted right to them, as if I am obligated to. Not on my watch. I have a much higher standard of dining and food when I'm going out -- isn't that the point? Shouldn't I? So if you don't live up to it, [censored] you. Maybe if you got there in ten minutes instead of 30 (c) I would tip, Mr. Cabbie. I only tip so largely when I do come across a great place because it's so insanely rare, and really, that's pretty sad.

There's this place where I live, Bangkok Blue, a Thai restaurant. So far it's the only restaurant I will regularly go to and know I am not only going to have the best food of my life, but am going to be treated well and have [censored] done for me without me having to ask. I spend like $50-$75 there every time I go, but whatever, it's worth it.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as i said, my mom is a waitress. she works weekends at a family restauraunt. she makes $2.15 per hour.

People do realize waitstaff is exempt from minimum wage right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your mom realize she does not have to be a waitress for a living?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as i said, my mom is a waitress. she works weekends at a family restauraunt. she makes $2.15 per hour.

People do realize waitstaff is exempt from minimum wage right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your mom realize she does not have to be a waitress for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

she actually doesn't. it's kind of embarrassing. we always say "why don't you work in a grocery store and she just drools, stares and mumbles "I iz waitress."

so you'd rather every restaurant add 15-20% to the price of each item so that they could pay a fare wage?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM

I guess I have to stiff every time I see a tip jar at a cashier station, they even have them at Subway, and on the outside shelf at Starbucks. When I worked pumping gas at the then full service stations in Yellowstone NP we loved it when Europeans (Continental, not Brits) came in, always a small tip. I will tip the guy that loads my truck at the lumberyard, but not many other people do because usually they are suprised, sometimes even refuse it. I like the taxi drivers that give you a blank reciept, the tips on the company. Stiffing bad service is healthy for everybody, it sends a message, leave a couple of nickle and dimes they get the point quickly.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I have to stiff every time I see a tip jar at a cashier station, they even have them at Subway

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonder if they're even allowed to have these set up at subway and similar places or if some employee just hand the brilliant idea to make a few extra bucks a day by setting one out.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 AM

i did this at a bar called the Brown Jug in Ann Arbor last year b/c the waitress was a huuuuuge btch.

she actually followed me out of the bar and down the street while screaming at me.