Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Hero opens from Button - 3bet by mcTAG in the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 1: What are the chances do you think that villain IS 3betting you light as opposed to the chances he has just hit a run of hot starting hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is mostly 3betting you, and mostly from the blinds, the chances are slim to nil that he is just running hot.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2: Whats your range for 4betting once you do feel you are being 3bet light? and is it better to 4bet a standard amount or just push?

[/ QUOTE ]

My range for 4betting consists of weak hands that I don't want to play postflop, and very strong hands that I want to play for stacks. I prefer calling with hands like AQ/KQ/KJ/JT, small PPs, etc, and 4betting with things like AK/AA/KK/QQ, offsuit connectors, suited trash, etc.

It is better to 4bet small. It is more frustrating for the villain, and you force him into huge blunders when you actually have a strong hand. It also increases the equity of a 4bet bluff dramatically.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 3: Lets say you opened with AK got 3bet and decided to push all-in what notes do you make on mcTAG (if any) if he calls your push with say a mid pp or similar type hand that he really ought not to be calling with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that he overdefends his 3bets, and spews to other TAGs.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 4: What adjustments should we make at the table for a villain who is 3betting us light on our left to maximise our EV. (for sake of argument we don't want to leave the table)

[/ QUOTE ]

Tighten your opening range, loosen your 4betting range, loosen your 3bet-calling range when you are in position. When you flatcall his 3bet with a hand like KQ or 33, be prepared to play back on flops that you whiff.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've been experimenting with the call and shove his flop bet, results still pending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner!!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:17 PM

As my coach Bobbo used to say, if villian insists on playing RR's pots OOP, then let him have his fun.

In other words, there is no need for 4betting as this with 100bb stacks actually commits you to calling a shove. Just start calling his threebets and don't be afraid to loose a stack or two.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM

call and shove flop bet is OK.

Most of gone is 6-7 within 50 hands and not getting any calls. How's that for abuse? I just posted a hand that somewhat deals with this..
Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Btw, this only applies when you're IP facing a 3bet from the blinds. If you're OOP, you should really be 4betting or folding almost all of your range. If the TAG sucks and cbets every flop, you can call and check/shove, too, but if he's smart and picks good flops to continue, he'll get the best of you.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Some good responses so far.

I have been away from poker for a few months and one thing I have noticed is that at 50NL there is a bunch more 3betting going on than there ever used to.

I'm willing to bet that most of the light 3bettors are just following the latest trend and don't really have a clue what they are doing.

Me - I play 3bet pots badly, but I am working on improving lots. Now there are obv easy spots where you 3bet someone with a top hand, these hands play themselves. I'm good at those. Similarly at the other end of the scale there are spots where you 3bet an aggro LP opener with a SC expecting him to fold - and he flat calls and you totally miss the flop - those hands play themselves as well - I can handle those. There are a bunch of situations in the middle tho that I don't do so well at and getting 3bet by a TAG regular seemed like a good place to start.

I should have mentioned in the OP that stacks are 100bb.

Here are some marginal hands I'd like to hear your thoughts on. In each case effective stacks are 100bb and we are playing $50NL. We have opened from the Button/CO and villain who we have as a regular TAG but nothing special has 3bet us from the blinds so after the flop drops we gots position.

We have a read that Villain is 3betting light this session and our image is mcTAG 20/17/3 ish - we have folded on a couple of previous occasions after being 3bet once by this villain and once by some other opponent.

If seeing a posted hand helps your thinking here's one from earlier.

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $85.39
MP: $57.38
CO: $24.05
Hero (BTN): $50
SB: $62.99
BB: $56.27

Pre-Flop: XX dealt to Hero (BTN)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $7</font>, BB folds, Hero ???

call and "play poker" - 4bet "semibluff raise (and obv call a push) - or fold and kick something??

If you are calling - whats the plan after the flop?

i) JTs
ii) Axo
iii) Axs
iv)TT
v)KJs

also please remember that one line answers rarely help anyone (especially you) please try to explain your thinking behind each action.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM

I am folding the Ax's, both of em. I probably call with JTs, KJs, and TT. If the board comes fairly dry I will play back at c-bets also.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 PM

hyachacha you don't deal with light 3bets by calling lightly imo
Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hyachacha you don't deal with light 3bets by calling lightly imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Strongly disagree. Most light 3bettors are dying to give away their money, and you take the most of it when you snap off their obligatory cbet.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM

so you're gonna start calling with TJs and floating missed flops? Feel free to report back imo