Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 PM

Default The most annoying thing about TV poker, period

Every WSOP or WPT episode, you have these people who bust at the final table and stand off to the side talkign about how disappointed htey are they didn't win first and that "the bracelet is all that matters!" and crap.

This is a load, plain and simple.

People play poker for MONEY.

If you said I could finsih 3rd at the WSOP ME every year for the rest of my life or win it once, I know what I'd pick and every pro in the world would pick also.

Only those players like Phil Ivey who have oodles of money already (but no WPT titles) can make such claims.

This is just so disingenious. Anyone playing in a poker tournament for "honor" or a "title" or to impress anyone is stupid and I doubt these people are stupid.

Just once I'd love to hear a guy who busts and nets like $300,000 and is asked "are you disappointed?" be like "UH I just won almost half a million dollars, that's the dumbest F'ing question ever you stupid ho bag"
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: The most annoying thing about TV poker, period

What do pro baseball, hockey, and football players play for? THE TITLE!! Sure making money is what its about, but so isnt winning. If you win the ME your picture is up on the wall for everyone to look at and say "one day I am going to be there" Winning is what its all about, you play to win!

The WSOP is more for the bracelets though, WPT is more of a play for the money, not the title of WPT champion.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 PM

I disagree on the WSOP "Bracelet" crap. If you told me I could finish 3rd for the rest of my life or win it once, I would take 3rd in a heartbeat, because the winner in the poker game of life is the one with the most money, and 3rd for 20 or 30 years is going to be much more money than winning once.

JJ
Old 03-01-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just once I'd love to hear a guy who busts and nets like $300,000 and is asked "are you disappointed?" be like "UH I just won almost half a million dollars, that's the dumbest F'ing question ever you stupid ho bag"

[/ QUOTE ]

when I started playing poker (really starting had like $50 in my bankroll) I got second in a mtt, got $1800. That was huge for me at the time but I was still really disapointed not to have won it, not because of the "title" but because that's how a normal human being works, you're never happy with what you achieve.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM

For the most part I'd agree with you. However, there are definately those who could care less about the money. I doubt a guy like Jerry Buss (and several others) care about a few 100K. They paly for the thrill of playing with the best, and all they want is that title.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ellix Powers
Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 PM

Everyone is different. For me, I love poker because of the competition. I could care less about the winnings from a tournament. I would take winning the WSOP ME once hands down than finishing 3rd every year for the rest of my life.

And honestly, if I kept finishing 3rd every year, what the hell is wrong with me? Can't close it out against amateurs? Seriously, that would suck.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would take winning the WSOP ME once hands down than finishing 3rd every year for the rest of my life.

And honestly, if I kept finishing 3rd every year, what the hell is wrong with me? Can't close it out against amateurs? Seriously, that would suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd have trouble sleeping in my 5 million dollar mansion if I only finished 3rd every year....
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM

1st once > multiple 3rds
Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 PM

From what standpoint? Pride?

3rd many times is not only alot more money but also a greater indication of poker skill than a fluke 1st.