Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Default help me move down - advice needed

Up until very recently, I have only played 1 table at a time. I have played as high as 3-6, but spent most of my time before an extended break playing 2-4. When I started playing again, my BR allowed for me to play .5-1 and 1-2. For two months now, I've been playing 2 tables with no help from a HUD.

Last week, I started playing three tables at a new site (FT), with the benefit of Realtime HUD. My goal short-term is to beat the game 4-tabling. Well, my game has dropped off pretty significantly with the third table. I find myself making very hasty calls and raises a few times a session, which is more than enough to put me in the red. To preserve my roll while learning, I've moved all the way down to .25-.5 which I've never played before. I'm trying to work out ways to play in a little bit more of a zen mindset, but it's obvious that these games play significantly differently than .5-1 and 1-2 do. And honestly, I'm most comfortable with the style of play common at 2-4 and 3-6.

So here's my question. I typically play a 23/18ish style but often change gears and play like a 33/25 (have not been doing too much of this with third table, tho). Am I better off tightening the conservative end of my range? If so, what would you recommend given my situation? Am I best off sticking to ABC play with little room for bluffing? Of course, my stats could be OK, but I'm just getting killed by bad play on later streets...

Also, any advice about habits/mindset for multitabling is welcome.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: help me move down - advice needed

dont tighten up just to add more tables. you'll get the best winrate playing your best poker at however many tables you can handle.

dunno if you already do this, but listen to music while you play. its weird, but i can play more tables comfortably when im listening to music. im more settled and relaxed.

in any case, just slowly work up playing more tables, dont jump into 3 or 4 all at once. it takes a while. play no more than 2 until you are totally comfortable with that, then and only then add a third. and so on. it would take me several months before i could add a single table. so be patient.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM

You're better off playing however many tables you can handle while still playing optimally IMHO. If you're currently winning at a good rate and still trying to improve your game then adding more tables at the cost of your current play style, as well as real non-robotic thought process for your difficult hands, is a very bad idea.

Personally I've realized I can only play 6 tables at a limit I am very comfortable at, and four absolute max while trying to play a new level. You really just have to find the level you're optimal at, and that takes experimenting for everyone.

Main point though - Unless you're playing uNL I think tightening up simply in order to add more tables probably isn't the way to go. As dragon said it will just come naturally after a while, so give it some time.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Also, I should have added- what do people focus on between hands? The eyestrain was considerable from playing on more/smaller tables (could be the mods I'm using, too - I need to experiment). I found that I need to start looking away from the monitor between action after about 2.5 hours.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:18 PM

I just slowly destroy my eyes, haven't had computer eyestrain since I was about 12.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 PM

So based on what you and Dragon are saying, it sounds like I should actually move back UP to .5-1 or 1-2, and then add a table there once I'm completely ready. Glad I posted here, because this never would have occurred to me...
Old 09-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Move down to .1/.25, play 4 tables for 5k hands, make use of what time you're allowed to make decisions, play your game. Shouldn't take more than 5000 hands before you're moving up comfortably, playing 4 tables.

Something similar worked for me.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 PM

It sounds like a bankroll management problem to me mostly. You really shouldn't be moving from 3/6 NL to .25/.5. If you are there is a big problem because the natural progression would to be to grind 2/4 for awhile.

Do you mind stating what your bankroll is?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 PM

possible suggestions--

1. Move down to NL50, play 3 tables for a few hours, then play 4 tables for 5-10k hands or whatever it takes for you to stay in a groove. Play like an ABC TAG 20/17 style.

--this will allow you to feel comfortable playing 4 tables.
--and it will make sure that your ABC game is solid and without leaks.

2. Play your normal stakes. Play the way you do. Add one table. Keep plugging away at it until you are comfortable. Rinse/repeat.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like a bankroll management problem to me mostly. You really shouldn't be moving from 3/6 NL to .25/.5. If you are there is a big problem because the natural progression would to be to grind 2/4 for awhile.

Do you mind stating what your bankroll is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before my break from poker, I dismantled my roll to pay off a car. I have 4,200 right now (and am in the midst of a cooler down from 5k). Went down to .25-.5 so I could learn to multitable comfortably.

edit for clarity