Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Good Ideas to Improve Basketball

I was watching a game of basketball today and I realized that the main reasons why I don't like this sport is that there is too much structure, too much scoring, and the refs don't have enough control of the game.

I'll adjust my point of too much structure first because some of you may find it confusing. For example, whenever a team gets the ball a 'shot clock' beings. The point of this being to prevent teams from stalling games with a lead by just holding the ball forever. But what if a team truly is trying to score but can't do it in 35 seconds???? Straight Forward rules like this take away a special something from the game. This transitions me into my next point about refs needing to control the game more.

If you want to stop stalling in basketball games. Make the rule as simple as this. If a ref thinks a player is stalling, he should just call a stalling violation on his own. Yes this is completely subjective but who wants objectivity when you have trained proffesionals that are payed to be subjective?

Furthermore I never seem to know how much time is left in a basketball game. Especially at the end when they are constantly calling time outs and stoping the game. Basketball is so slow paced it's ridiculous. To solve this problem they should just run the clock continuosly no matter what is going on, even while play is stopped. Certainly this will bring forth a whole new level of stalling, especially during injuries but this can be solved simply by the refs at the end of game pulling an arbitrary number out of their asses and adding that amount of time to the end of basketball games. Sure this kind of kills the excitement of the final minutes of a game, sicne youre going to get a whole new set of final minutes, but it's the only reasonable thing to do.

Furthermore, there is not enough penalty for fouling. If you are taking a shot and get fouled you get 2 free throws? If you make them both you get 2 pts, the same 2 pts you woulda got anyway, wow thats bullcrap. It should just be if you foul a guy you get a warning and if you get a second foul you are instantly kicked out of the game and suspended for the next 3 games. Also your team should have to play the entire game down 5 men to 4.

Certainly this would be a huge disadvantage with the court as it is, therefore the court should be made ridiculously huge and virtually all forward passing should be made illegal due to an insanely strict offsides rule. This should keep scoring down a bit, right now it feels like every game should start tied at 100 with 2 minutes to go, what fun is that when they get start tied 4-4 with 2 minuts to go.... and then another 5 minutes after that.

My final beef is on the 3 point shot. What is with there actually being a line? Sometimes a player takes a shot from right within the arc and sometimes right behind it. Practically the same shot, but one is worth less? Totally unfair. It should simply be like this. If you make a deep basket the ref should be able to say to himself "ah, that shot was kinda long" and give you 3 points just because he feels like it. That would make so much more sense. Why have players control the game?, that's what you pay the refs for....

Thoughts/Comments?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Good Ideas to Improve Basketball

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching a game of basketball today and I realized that the main reasons why I don't like this sport is that there is too much structure, too much scoring, and the refs don't have enough control of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 AM

Horrible, stick to baseball.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 AM

please let me be the first and last person to respond to this obviously attention whoring troll post.

edit: damn. seriously people let it be.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:26 AM

your suggestions are moronic. Based on this thread and your stupid post in a soccer thread today, you should stop posting as you have no value and are a moron.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, there is not enough penalty for fouling. If you are taking a shot and get fouled you get 2 free throws? If you make them both you get 2 pts, the same 2 pts you woulda got anyway, wow thats bullcrap. It should just be if you foul a guy you get a warning and if you get a second foul you are instantly kicked out of the game and suspended for the next 3 games. Also your team should have to play the entire game down 5 men to 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the f***?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 AM

hahahaha, best post ever. everyone else was levelled.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM

Excellent troll post!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:36 AM

I didn't really read the OP's post after a couple of sentences since it seemed kind of silly but I can't really get into basketball, except for the last few minutes of a close game. I always thought basketball should be split into a best of 5 series for every game with each of those mini-games lasting 5-10 minutes, leaning towards the shorter side.

Also, I feel like the season is too long. 40-50 games is good, but that's coming from someone who likes the overly long baseball season.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:46 AM

You have to try harder then that to level me sir.

Cody