Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Who are your top 10 college football teams -- OFFICIAL early ranki

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't surprise me if ND lost 3 games this season BEFORE the bowl game. But for ND, 3 losses might be enough to put them in the National Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't remember 1993 very well, do you?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Glenn is ahead of Lucky but not positive. I think both should do well and have a few snaps this year, with the absence of Ross.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenn was definitely ahead of Lucky the first half of spring practice, but Lucky really came on strong during the latter half of spring ball, and these two now are pretty much 1 and 1a going into fall camp. Both of them should be used extensively as Callahan likes the rb committee approach (remember how many backs he used when he coached the Raiders), and they have different styles which complement each other well. Glenn is a big, bruising, powerful runner, while Lucky is a better breakaway threat and receiver.

The big question is where will Kenny Wilson fit in. He was the #1 ranked juco rb last year, and NU strength coach Kennedy has said he's in the best shape of any new incoming player he has ever seen. Depending on how fast he picks up the playbook, he'll definitely be a factor at some point this year.

And don't forget the forgotten man, junior Brandon Jackson, who missed spring practice due to injury. I can't think of another program that's going to have more competition at the rb position this august.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't surprise me if ND lost 3 games this season BEFORE the bowl game. But for ND, 3 losses might be enough to put them in the National Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't remember 1993 very well, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the last year ND didn't suck ass?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't know how you can say the offense will be fully loaded. Last year, the Huskers averaged something like 95 yards/game. Looking at some stats right now, the Huskers were 96th ranked in total offense (for 320 yards/game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the offensive production Nebraska had the last couple of games last year once they moved Slauson and Patrick into the starting lineup at the tackle postions. In college fball, when a team finishes the season really strong and returns most of their starters, this usually means very good things for the next year.

For the first time under Callahan they have a returning starter at qb in Zach Taylor. That's huge when you consider the type of wco the huskers run.

If Matt Herian returns to form, this offense will be pretty loaded. He was the #1 receiving option on offense during Callahan's first year, until he broke his leg -- most teams were doubling him. Last year, the te position was pretty much nonexistent w/out him.

NU returns all of their key receivers, who were all underclassmen. And they've added Spain (wasn't cleared to play last year), Purify (#1 ranked juco wr), and Meno Holt (freshman stud), all of whom are fast, athletic, and 6'3 or taller.

If the Matt Herian of old is back, that's a lot of weapons in the passing game. Unfortunately, there's probably only about a 10% chance Herian's back to 100% physically from what I've heard (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor). Even if he only catches 20 - 25 balls, that's still a huge improvement in production at te from last year.

Obviously, if the oline play doesn't substantially improve, the offense won't improve that much. IMO, the oline should be significantly better than last year.

I'm putting a lot of stock into what I've been hearing from Lincoln, with regards to how Nebraska has looked in offseason workouts. I haven't heard this magnitude of positive buzz in almost 10 years. Callahan finally has the type of personnel in place to run his wco. Do I expect Nebraska to be top 10 in offense this season? No. But realistically, they should move into the top 25-30% in offensive production in the country which combined with their nasty defense and solid special teams makes them a top 10 team.

Remember, even with the 96th ranked offense last year they were only 2 plays away from being 10 - 2.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree on the overrating of UF. They are far and away my favorite team, but sadly enough I do not think they are national championship contenders this year. Even with a super biased opinion, I don't have UF in the top 5 (even though I did for mine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Leak is best suited for a West Coast offense IMO. He's such a pansy when it comes to running/option, an element that makes the spread so effective (ie. vince young/texas ish). His Sophmore year was insane (3200 yards, 30 TDs). We'll see if Urban can modify the offense to fit Leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meyers is a good coach and as someone pointed out, his offense tends to take off in the second year (to the tune of about an 18 point increase). He is going to make the necessary changes to fully utilize the talents of Chris LEak (basically, more spread and less option [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Also keep in mind that this is the first time that Leak has played in the same offensive system for more than a year. It seems like almost every year people say "running back is a question mark for Florida" but they always seem to answer the question. The big big problem with Florida is O-line. Leak is a very good QB but he got pounded continuously last year and I think its a minor miracle that he didnt receive any serious injuries. If the O-line can come together and keep the pass rush off Leak, they'll be a top 5 team. If this doesnt happen, I think they'll be lucky to crack the Top 10 at the end of the season. Same goes for their prospects in the SEC. I think they win the East no matter what but they wont win the championship game unless the O-line is performing well.

I'll get off my Florida fanboy soapbox now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think they win the East no matter what

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like what people said about Tennessee last year. I can tell you one thing for damn sure: UF does not go undefeated. I would also bet $50 (I know, BIG SPENDER [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) they don't win the East. Then I'd take 3-1 odds they finish 3rd.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll get off my Florida fanboy soapbox now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I think the fanboy soapbox can be a good thing for these kinds of discussion. I mean who knows more about a team than a close fan right? I know LSU well (b/c I'm a fanboy) and think as a result I can offer some pretty good descriptions.

EDIT to add: If you are correct and Meyer is more flexible than I think he is (more spread, very little option maybe), then I'm willing to concede they could play up to their talent level.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like what people said about Tennessee last year. I can tell you one thing for damn sure: UF does not go undefeated. I would also bet $50 (I know, BIG SPENDER [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) they don't win the East. Then I'd take 3-1 odds they finish 3rd.

[/ QUOTE ]
Slow down there buckaroo. I'll be the first to say they might be a little overrated, but third? Only if Leak gets injured.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was that the last year ND didn't suck ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it was the last time they won a bowl game.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Slow down there buckaroo. I'll be the first to say they might be a little overrated, but third? Only if Leak gets injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only? ehhhh, not really. Do I think UF has the best talent in the SECE? Absolutely! Do they also have a tougher schedule than UGA and UT? For sure. The Gators' 2005 OL was no good, and I can attribute that to a completely new blocking philosophy. That same line that allowed a crapton of sacks also lost 3 starters (maybe 4). Oops, boss came in!