Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: do you work/study in the tech field?

[ QUOTE ]
kerowo, getting paid for OT sure lessens the pain but staying late at the office sounds like a bitch, how does that beat doing support? what were you getting paid/hr for coding? and for support?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people in IT working as devs don't get OT so I am fortunate in that regard. I've worked for large outsourcing companies; EDS and Accenture and have been stuck in the mid 50's for quite a while. Supporting a system can be good or bad depending on how stable the system is and how many people are supporting it. Carrying the pager 1 week a month sucks much more than 1 week a quarter. Averaging 1 page a night sucks much more than 1 page a weekend. Usually doing support you are around the system long enough to gain system knowledge, which makes the job much easier and much more enjoyable. Unfortunately testing tends to demand a different type of system knowledge, much broader and shallower. More at the logical level than at the physical level. You know what the UI does but not how it does it, and sometimes not why it does it.

If you are going to go into IT, which I can't really recommend, I would try for smaller shops over large companies. There is more opportunity to become a SME on an application or system and less pressure to outsource the job to people who will do it faster and cheaper than you can.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha, thats awesome nuclear. sounds like you get a lot of freedom with your job which is really refreshing. im assuming you get paid on salary without OT pay? what operating systems are these machines running? are decisions like this up to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, I am a straight salaried employee. I am expected to be on call 24/7 but that has never truly reared its ugly head other then an entire Sunday rebuilding a SQL server cause the RAID didn't work correctly for some reason (server built before my time) a year ago.

The servers mostly run Server 2003, 2000 and with a few legacy guys running NT 4.0 that the company just can't let go of that have long since been converted to VM's and the VMWare ESX hosts obviously run the ESX operating system [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are a couple that also run Gentoo Linux like our main SNMP trending and monitoring server. The decisions are generally driven by the vendor in terms of operating system - they simply don't have the software available in another flavor of OS. Only a few of our systems are Unix based and one of those might be switching to Linux in a year.

We are an IBM shop for both Windows and the Unix hardware. Half and half between Blades and rack mounts for the Intel stuff.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

erbbysam, im glad you're liking it. wake up at 8am and go to all your classes? wow, model student. good luck with everything. what school do you attend btw?

[/ QUOTE ]
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

erbbysam, im glad you're liking it. wake up at 8am and go to all your classes? wow, model student. good luck with everything. what school do you attend btw?

[/ QUOTE ]
University of Massachusetts Amherst

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a model student that goes to ZooMASS, impressive. But then again, some people actually go to school and not just go to college.