Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Default 10/25 NL live playing top pair weak kicker very strong

Foxwoods 10/25, 10-handed.

Effective stacks 4000.

I am on the button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop
Fairly loose player raises to 75 from EP, unknown but probably OK player calls from CO, I call, mediocre passive player calls from BB.

Flop (300): T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checked to CO and he bets 150. I smell a draw so I raise to 450 (should probably have raised more here). BB calls my raise, and CO calls.

Turn (1650): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Both check to me and I bet 1900. You like? BB folds, CO thinks for a while and then calls.

River (5450): J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
CO fairly quickly bets 1500, which puts me all in. I am probably dead but I figure I have to call just in case.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 10/25 NL live playing top pair weak kicker very strong

"I smell a draw"

Just made my day, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fold pf, don't raise the flop, don't bet the turn, fold the river
Old 11-06-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I smell a draw"

Just made my day, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fold pf, don't raise the flop, don't bet the turn, fold the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I strongly disagree with all this. Remember that this is live and players are less tricky and easy to read. A flop raise seems perfect here because I have position, I could make a T with a better kicker fold, and I get value from a draw. And if he 3-bets me it is an easy fold. The turn bet is a little more questionable but you would think that if someone had a big made hand on the flop they would have raised me.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM

I'd call the pre-flop raise only because I'm on the button in what looks to be at least a 3-way pot with fairly deep stacks.

But I wouldn't be playing to flop top pair. I'd be looking to pick up uncontested flops, or a decent draw that I hit on the turn if the flop bet was small, or a big unlikely flop like TT3/AKQ or something similar.

Once CO bets at the flop, however, I'd fold TPWK with no redraws. This is not the flop you were looking for.

Against some predicatable preflop raisers who will frequently c/f the turn after their continuation bet gets called, I might float the cb here. But CO was not the preflop raiser. He's caught a piece of this flop, and your JT stands to be either way behind or slightly ahead of CO's range.

So, fold the flop.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM

seems fine after the flop, which could be a fold or a raise.
89 just got there and KJss just did as well. Those two hands are the only real hands I can see him doing this with.

You are getting sick odds to call and bc this is live he could have weird hands like JQss, AKss, AJss, J7. idk.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call the pre-flop raise only because I'm on the button in what looks to be at least a 3-way pot with very deep stacks.

But I wouldn't be playing to flop top pair. I'd be looking to pick up uncontested flops, or a decent draw that I hit on the turn if the flop bet was small, or a big unlikely flop like TT3/AKQ or something similar.

Once CO bets at the flop, however, I'd fold TPWK with no redraws. This is not the flop you were looking for.

Against some predicatable preflop raisers who will frequently c/f the turn after their continuation bet gets called, I might float the cb here. But CO was not the preflop raiser. He's caught a piece of this flop, and your JT stands to be either way behind or slightly ahead of CO's range.

So, fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that this is not the greatest flop for my hand, but this particular situation seems nice. CO has bet only half the pot, which seems pretty weak. I know how my hand measures up against his range, but it seems like the fact that I have position with deep stacks easily makes up for that.