Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Default half the bankroll?

I wasn't sure where to put this post. So if it belongs somehwere else please move it. A friend of mine runs a 3-6 game out of his house. He gets alot of players and none of them really have any idea how to play, I am sure none of them are winners. I used to play there all the time and do very well. However I never played with a bankroll. Now that I'm learing about bankroll/bankroll management I've stopped playing there until I have the proper bankroll (1800). However he made me an offer tonight. He says if I play in the game 3 nights a week he will cut any losses I take in half. For example if I lose 100, he pays me back 50. I get to keep all winnings. I might be wrong but this would cut my variance in half, and now I would only require half the bankroll right? I told him I'd think about it. It sounds really great to me, but I wanted to see what you all had to say about such things first.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: half the bankroll?

If the game is that easy to beat you have little to nothing to lose. Play in it.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 PM

if I could play in a game full of crappy players and have someone cover half my losses I would sell my car to play if I had to. The deal is too sweet to worry about a bankroll. Do it.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 PM

If he really plans to give you a 50% rebate on losses every night you play, even if you are a fairly big loser at poker you could have a huge +EV here if your sessions aren't too long.

However, a deal this good is extremely suspicious, and if you're being cheated badly enough no amount of rebate can help you.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. The deal is too sweet to worry about a bankroll. Do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that, but point taken.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 AM

You need to change how you are thinking. You help build your bankroll by playing and winning $$. Working to build such a huge bankroll to play $3-6 on a casual basis is overkill. You can make more at the corner convenience store as a part time job.

I am not critisizing, just changing the paradigm. As you save $$ for your bankroll, those poor players will either be getting better or be replaced by players who play much better. Get in the game now, while it is so soft because it will not last.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:10 AM

ahhhhh......YEAH!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:42 AM

why would he bank half your losses? Does he play in this game?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 AM

Something isn't right here. Why would he EVER pay for your losses? If he get's a lot of players already I'm assuming he doesn't need you to keep the game going. Games can be too good to be true, i think this one most definitly is. I doubt your facing any kind of sophisticated cheats simply because it's a 3-6 game and if appears to be quite profitable by playing straight anyways. (I am assuming you mean limit, and not a no limit game with 3-6 blinds and stacks over $1000, in which case professional cheating would be a definite possibility.) However, this could be an amatuer hussle job. Be wary if everyone suddenly wants to play 10-20 or something like that. Do you know all the players? If they are just splitting your losses when you leave, or if the host can make up for possibly paying for half your losses by upping the stakes, then it doesn't matter what he is offering. Of course this would only work if the host wasn't going to pay for your losses at the higher stakes.
Most likely though is that the host wont follow through with his deal. You will prob hear something like "can i get you back next game" or "i meant TOTAL losses, you won last time right?" I see no logical or half logical reason for them to cover half your losses with no stake in your wins. Things can be too good to be true.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Talking about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. You used to play in this game and did very well. Then suddenly you learnt about 'bankroll' and is afraid to play the game. I'd suggest forget about everything you've learnt about 'bankroll' then and go back and play.

Players playing 3/6 shouldn't be thinking about bankroll anyway. If you go broke, you can always get a crappy job and rebuild. Bankroll concerns are really valid only when you're talking about an amount of money that you can't easily recoup from other sources if you go broke.