Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Straight draw being raised by a lower \'made straight\'

I was 90% sure that villain had a straight, though he could also be going all in with trips or two pair or pair/flush draw.

At the time I felt the call was justified, though I am wondering now if his small stack size reduced the implied odds of how much I'd win if I hit my straight.

Thoughts?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High (1,000/2,000), Ante 150, Bring-In 300 (converter)

Seat 1: 11,698
Seat 3: 3,331
Seat 4: 18,518
Seat 5: 21,082
Seat 6: 3,746
Seat 7: 25,229
Hero: 22,896

3rd Street - (1.05 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (4.35 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises to 2,181 (all-in)
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls

5th Street - (5.95 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___all-in
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (9.95 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls 367 (all-in)
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___all-in
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises

River - (14.31 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___all-in
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Total pot: (14.31 BB - 28,627)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot 27,627 Main pot 10,893. Side pot 16,734. | Rake 0

Note: this site shuffles the hole cards.

Seat 1: [9c 8c Tc 7s 6s 5d 5h] - a straight, Ten high

Seat 3: [Kd Kh 3s 4h Ks Ah 8s] - three of a kind, Kings

Seat 8: Hero showed [Jc Th 9d Qc Ac 8h Qs] and won (27,627) with a straight, Queen high

</font>
Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Straight draw being raised by a lower \'made straight\'

Standard. I probably would have raised 3rd in this hand though.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM

I don't know how much tournament play varies from cash game play but in a cash game I would've tossed it. With a 10 &amp; a 7 gone &amp; no flush possibilities against a raise &amp; another player who is obviously drawing at something...yeah, I probably fold.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:16 PM

looks ok, but I would have probably not raised fourth, check called fifth, and check raised on sixth. Result would be the same in this case, both villians all in. FWIW, most times I am not raising third in this case in a turny. I am very leary about straight draws in a turny because I don't think they are the best investment. Generally, if any of my cards are gone, or I don't catch a str8 card on fourth, I am not playing it.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM

I was definitely lucky that it was a tourney situation against small stacks since the other villain hit 3 Ks on 5th street and would probably have reraised forcing me to toss my hand.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Given the apparent buried pair in seat 3, I don't like a raise on 3rd. It's not clear we have anything more going for us than the straight draw ie. possible pairs on 4th may not be of much use. The straight draw isn't a favorite until 4th. I think OP was OK to call on 3rd. Tournament concerns strengthen that argument. You certainly don't want to thin the field if all you're playing is a big draw.

After that it looks pretty standard. I like the line on 4th (ie NOT waiting till 5th to come alive) very much.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was definitely lucky that it was a tourney situation against small stacks since the other villain hit 3 Ks on 5th street and would probably have reraised forcing me to toss my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, these hands can get very expensive in tournament situtaions. In some situtaions in a turny, I muck this hand - like Brad is saying. However, in this case I think I would have played it.

I really question the check raise on fourth. Especially since you know that the short stack wants to get the rest of his chips in and so he will likely come over the top. This happens a lot in tournaments. Whenever the antes get big, and I am thinking of raising a drawing hand in a turny (usually a three flush with a big door) I look to my left to see if there is a small stack there who looks like he is ready to put all his chips in, and evaluate whether I want to call a re-raise.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM

I tend to steal more in tournies than I do in cash games. I find it to be more important. The only cards behind are a 2, 3, 4 and a 10- so really all you have to be worried about is the 10. If he had raised, the 10 probably would have folded his cheese.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, these hands can get very expensive in tournament situtaions. In some situtaions in a turny, I muck this hand - like Brad is saying. However, in this case I think I would have played it.

I really question the check raise on fourth. Especially since you know that the short stack wants to get the rest of his chips in and so he will likely come over the top. This happens a lot in tournaments. Whenever the antes get big, and I am thinking of raising a drawing hand in a turny (usually a three flush with a big door) I look to my left to see if there is a small stack there who looks like he is ready to put all his chips in, and evaluate whether I want to call a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 20BB stack and an apparent huge equity lead in the hand, you LOVE every cent that goes in on 4th, no matter how it gets there.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 20BB stack and an apparent huge equity lead in the hand, you LOVE every cent that goes in on 4th, no matter how it gets there.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a cash game I totally agree with you. In a tournament, I believe your drawing hands, and especially str8 draws, go way down in value. Keep in mind that you have to win back all the chips you lose in a turny, and once you bust you are out. When I do choose to play a draw in a turny, I like to do so as cheaply as possible until I have made my hand.