Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM

Default catching up...

I'm a small stakes US player coming back to online poker after over a year away. I had some family and health issues pop up about the same time that the UIEGA passed and just decided to cash out most of my bankroll and take a break.

Now my life is quieter and I'm feeling the urge to play a bit more poker.

When I cashed out, I left about a thousand bucks split up among Full Tilt, UB, and Stars, which looks like a good choice as they seem to have remained US friendly. I use to play 50NL/100NL and $10-$30 MTTs/SNGs, but since I don't think I'll redeposit and I don't have more than $450 at any site, I'll probably be starting out at 10NL/25NL until I busto or build a roll.

I've been reading through these forums to try to catch up and was wondering if I'm missing anything important for a recreational player (playing mostly for fun -- 2-4 nights a week for 2-3 hours). So, please fill me in if I'm wrong or missing anything important.

My main concerns are: Any real chance of legal grief just for playing? Complications for withdrawing small amounts of money (<$1000)? Complications for withdrawing larger amounts (e.g., $10,000 after a miracle win in an MTT)? Anything to worry about at Stars, FT, or UB?

As I understand things...

Legal status in US: confused, but more of a problem for the gaming sites than players. Some people have had problems depositing to sites or clearing checks from sites with certain banks. Some states are worse than others. However, where there is a will there is a way and most people are able to move cash to and from sites as needed (but with some delays compared to 2 years ago). There is some lobbying going on in the US to clarify the legal status in favor of players.

Sites: Stars and Full Tilt are the biggest for US players. Party and Pacific are still no good for US players. Absolute was caught in a cheating scandal (thanks in part to some 2+2 posters). UB is still a medium sized site with no real important news but definitely US friendly.

Games: At the micro limits I'll be playing, no real difference.

2+2: Seems more popular than ever despite the mediocre forum software [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. More sub-forums including French and German (BBV in 3 languages!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Lots and lots of good advice along with the usual noise.

Any tips or advice for a returning player would be appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: catching up...

UB is owned by the same slimeballs that own AP.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Micro limits, at least after $.05/$.10, are definitely tougher than they were pre-UIGEA. Still very very profitable though.

And yeah stay away from UB. Besides being owned by the same guys as AP, a lot of people have had withdrawing problems from what I've heard.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Micro limits are definitely much tougher than they were pre-UIGEA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 PM

Yes get your cash off UB and split it between Stars and UB.

[ QUOTE ]
Seems more popular than ever despite the mediocre forum software

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 is moving to VB in a few weeks.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes get your cash off UB and split it between Stars and UB.

[ QUOTE ]
Seems more popular than ever despite the mediocre forum software

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 is moving to VB in a few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

And back to vbulletin a few days after that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the info -- didn't know that about UB. I only have about $150 there and always preferred Stars and FT, so no big loss -- I'll just cash out and take my wife out for a nice dinner.