Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Several random questions about physics, biology, math

Alright, just trying to tie up a few loose ends that I encounter in my studies.

1) In a cell, what causes vesicles, vacuoles, and other "stuff" to move in the cytoplasm? I'm looking for the cause of the force that gives them movement. Is it osmotic pressure? Electromagnetic forces?

2) Is race a social construct? Does it have valid scientific usage?

3) I get the impression that some of you (borodog?) here have some sort of theory of abiogenesis in your brain. Explain your ideas to me. I've read the wiki.

4) May be tough to answer given that I haven't studied anything beyond mechanics and electromagnetism. What "causes" gravity to act on one object? Like a hand pushes a cart and makes it move, is there something that interacts with the object to cause the force? Is it just something which we don't have a complete answer to? Is the space warpage a satisfactory answer? Please don't respond with the equation, I know it.

5) Similarly, what causes electric and magnetic forces/fields? I haven't completely finished the course, so perhaps it explains later. But in the first chapter on electric forces/fields, it explains it by saying "it SOMEHOW modifies the properties of space around it". Big lol. How does one electric point charge "know" the other is there?

6) Remember the giant ridiculous OOT thread about jason_t and John Nash, where callmeishmael called everyone idiots for choosing $100 +/- $1, instead of $3 (link someone?)? Well I was wondering WHY game theory gives an absolutely horrible answer to a basic problem.

7) Philosophy is probably the most retarded field of study ever. T/F? No one can even agree on the meanings of important keywords. Also, I don't know why rationality is always assumed. "Emotion", feeling and instinct have done pretty damn well for humans and animals in general. It is basically ignored in philosophy, no? I'm rarely completely rational except when I'm sciencing and [censored].

8) How much of a joke are these majors in uni?
-communications
-sociology
-anthropology (wtf, it should just be lumped in with sociology already)
-women's studies
-whatever ethnic studies (asian, latino, black)

9) Guitar is rad.