Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Default NL25 turn brings nuts straight, river pairs board

Hi 2+2, some help wanted, thank you very much!

<u>Question:</u> General line check

<u>Reads:</u> Gameplay at table is pretty loose w/ a lot of calling, and not very aggressiv. The villain to my right is new to the table, the other guy has been a part of the crowd and hasnīt done anything outstanding.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($23.25)
UTG+1 ($8)
MP1 ($26.15)
MP2 ($9.55)
MP3 ($25)
Hero ($40.25)
Button ($15.20)
SB ($14.15)
BB ($36.10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, SB folds, BB calls $0.50, MP2 folds.

<font color="blue"> The board is rainbow, so I figure I can win an average of &gt;=$6 if I hit, which would make the call ok. </font>

Turn: ($2.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls $3.50.

River: ($10.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1.75</font>, Hero calls $1.75.

<font color="blue"> Now he likes his hand. This may be something w/ a lone 8 but it might also be a set having filled up looking to get raised. I know they shouldnīt slowplay sets, they normaly donīt, no matter how coordinated the board. So I just call. </font>

Final Pot: $14.25
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: NL25 turn brings nuts straight, river pairs board

Raise pre-flop, 89s in position is a good hand too have, especially when there is a poster in the hand.

Raise too 6 on the river. Your letting him get too showdown far too cheaply, the way its played it really doesnt look like he has a set. Players at this level dont get trickey, once they hit they usually bet hard.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM

I think you lose value from the 8 high straight just calling here.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Players at this level dont get trickey, once they hit they usually bet hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree totaly. Slowplaying sets no matter how ccordinated the board is absolutly standard for at least 50% of them.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Players at this level dont get trickey, once they hit they usually bet hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree totaly. Slowplaying sets no matter how ccordinated the board is absolutly standard for at least 50% of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They slow play the flop and turn, but once they get too the river they want to make as much as possible so i find they never really slowplay the river.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Don't give him a cheap showdown.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They slow play the flop and turn, but once they get too the river they want to make as much as possible so i find they never really slowplay the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thatīs true, but given my turn bet size, this smelled like a teaser. Iīve seen that before, but I accept that I have been too passive here anyway.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:16 PM

Question 1:
Are we raise/folding or raise/calling?

Question 2 (only relevant if raise/folding):
Suppose this was a $5/$10 hand. Do we ever really raise the turn with two-pair or a set? If Villain is smart, can't he jam over us since we (I guess) never show up with a boat on river?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question 1:
Are we raise/folding or raise/calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

That really depends on the size of his reraise. I never call an all-in here. If he raises small, I call, but I donīt have much hope.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2 (only relevant if raise/folding):
Suppose this was a $5/$10 hand. Do we ever really raise the turn with two-pair or a set? If Villain is smart, can't he jam over us since we (I guess) never show up with a boat on river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I had the very same idea!
This is, however, too sophisticated for NL25 w/o individual reads.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Definatly reraise on the river, there are a nubmer of hands that you have beat that would still call a hefty reraise. The hand was limped to the flop so his range or hands is larger, if he ended up hitting trip 7's on the river or the smaller strait on the turn you could likley put him all in.

I would reraise his bet to about $7 on the river if he push's call. If he ended up hitting the boat thats poker, but there are plenty of other hands that he would call with that you have beat.