Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Worst career starts (and finishes)

Guys,

I'm not really talking about prodigies who were outstanding from the start, more short term brilliance (like no hitter in 2nd game, goal with first touch) etc.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Greg Maddux

start: 8-18, 5.59
since: 339-196, 3.09
Old 11-21-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod broke into the big leagues and almost won the MVP award in his first season. Great start.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a selective memory.

ARod broke into the Majors in July of 1994. I was at his first game at Fenway Park. He didn't do much of anything that year and started the next season in the minors.

He then got called up about a two and a half weeks into the 1995 season and then went back and forth between the Majors and AAA accumulating just 142 at bats in Seattle. He didn't hit very well with .232/.264/.408 #s.

It was only in 1996 that ARod broke out and led the AL with a .358 batting average.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod broke into the big leagues and almost won the MVP award in his first season. Great start.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod broke into the Majors in July of 1994. I was at his first game at Fenway Park. He didn't do much of anything that year and started the next season in the minors.

He then got called up about a two and a half weeks into the 1995 season and then went back and forth between the Majors and AAA accumulating just 142 at bats in Seattle. He didn't hit very well with .232/.264/.408 #s.

It was only in 1996 that ARod broke out and led the AL with a .358 batting average.

[/ QUOTE ]

riods?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 PM

numerous guys have homered on the first pitch they saw in the big leagues (Will Clark comes to mind)

Andruw Jones homered in his first 2 WS ABs the year before his rookie year (i think)
Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But he will end his career ring-less because he isn't a winner. He doesn't have grit. He's all about himself and his superhuman stats. He's not true. He's not a Yankee. His eyes aren't calm. He isn't bi-racial. He's just A-Rod: Colossal Failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol brilliant
Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
numerous guys have homered on the first pitch they saw in the big leagues (Will Clark comes to mind)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a ton of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._league_at-bat

Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam on the first pitch he ever saw. That's pretty cool. He's the only player to do that.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:02 PM

The ignominious end to Jerry Rice, Dave Andreychuk, and Steve Carlton come to mind.

Rice was basically cut from the Broncos' training camp after an entirely forgettable stint with the Seattle Seahawks. Andreychuk was waived mid-season as the captain of the defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning - he hung on one season too long, and was forced into retirement. Steve Carlton pitched horribly for the Minnesota Twins. Some players just don't know when to let go.

Every time the Yankees play the Tigers, they reshow Marcus Thames hitting his first major league pitch into the seats, off Randy Johnson.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Joe Theismann's football career ended pretty badly. The end of his broadcasting career wasn't pretty either (well, no parts of it were).
Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you know what I mean. I know damn well he came up and had a cup of coffee before 1996. He was also a teenager those years IIRC. And out of my entire post, it's funny that that is all you picked apart. I said A-Rod wasn't bi-racial, and only cared about his superhuman stats. lol.