Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: *** Official 2007-08 Golden State Warriors Thread ***

[ QUOTE ]

That said, Martin may be a better player now, but I'd be surprised if that's still the case in 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM

I guess we'll see tonight. I somewhat expect the Warriors to run the Kings off the floor. Udrih is gonna get exposed.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That said, Martin may be a better player now, but I'd be surprised if that's still the case in 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he thinks monta has more potential imo.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he thinks monta has more potential imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think you get it, Martin is a top 30 NBA player atm and a potential top 10 player. Ellis is like a top 100 player, maybe 75, which means he'd be a suitable starter on most teams. But he isn't really all star caliber right now, and his ceiling is not like a prime allen iverson or michael redd type deal, it's more of a class behind that...
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Based on what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't watched K-mart as much as Monta, and I'm obviously biased and a die hard Warriors fan, but this is why:

Kevin Martin: born 2/1/1983
Monta Ellis: born 10/26/1985

also, here's an awesome feature from 1.5 years ago about Monta:

LINK

[ QUOTE ]
. . .Reaching the top would deliver Ellis from Jackson. He grew up in a section of town considered gang turf, living in his grandparents' house with his mother, Rosa, and his two brothers. Drug peddlers plied their trade in the open; gunplay interrupted the drone of cicadas. As a youngster, wary of walking alone to a nearby basketball court, Monta built a makeshift hoop by nailing a milk crate to a light post in front of the house. He would shoot baskets into the evening, finally quitting when his mother ordered him to bed.

In later years, Antwain brought his younger brother along to pickup games, where Monta learned that even big kids stop talking smack when you blow past them. He revered Antwain, a member of Lanier's 1999 state title team, whose 6-foot-8 frame and shooting touch stirred talk of a possible pro career, until a teammate's murder derailed his ambition.

The teenager, a close friend of Antwain's, died over a $30 dope deal, an incident that pushed Antwain into chronic depression. His NBA aspirations long since faded, he lives with his mother and her husband in Jackson, "not doing much of anything," Rosa says.

His brother's unraveling "opened my eyes to how much you can lose," Monta Ellis says, while giving him tunnel vision to pursue his own hoop dreams. He devoted himself to working with Billups, the uncle of Detroit Pistons guard Chauncey Billups. Beyond refining Ellis' shooting form and teaching him to read the entire court, the coach instilled in the high-schooler a passion for defense, a rare trait among young players. Billups also provided reassurance when one senior questioned the decision to hand the team's reins to a freshman.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But he isn't really all star caliber right now, and his ceiling is not like a prime allen iverson or michael redd type deal, it's more of a class behind that...

[/ QUOTE ]

one of these is not like the other. Iverson is obviously a better comparison because of his size, but AI is a unique player. "oh his ceiling is lower than one of the great players of all time" isn't really the worst thing you can say about someone.

I think Monta will be better than Michael Redd, though obviously a different type of player and probably a worse rebounder. (And 6'3 instead of 6'6)

Yeah, he's not an all star right now. He's also 21 and in his 3rd year. There really aren't that many all stars with less than 150 games played in their careers.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM

meh.. the age thing is nice and all, I'll believe it when Ellis is actually the next Billups. So far Martin is really the guy putting insane amounts of work into his game. Each year he's got something new, and his improvement from an unknown scrub out of Western Carolina to a bonafide stud 3 years later has been startling.

Didn't know Ellis was out of Jackson. I spent a week there 4 years ago. Place is messed up. Whole sections of the city were dilapidated and seemingly abandoned. And totally segregated of course.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM

Jesus man..

[ QUOTE ]

I think Monta will be better than Michael Redd, though obviously a different type of player and probably a worse rebounder. (And 6'3 instead of 6'6)

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is prepared to be disappointed. I was actually thinking it'd be awesome if Martin reaches Redd's level (who is currently peaking). I'll poop my pants if Monta ever has that kind of impact.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 AM

YES CAPTAIN JACK !!!! ANYONE ELSE WATCHING THIS? TWO [censored] HUGE 3s IN A ROW
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
prop bet?