Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Stud Hi (Quads on 4\'th)

I'm debating if I played this just right, or perhaps TOO aggressive? Usually I try to slowplay big monsters till the end hoping someone else makes another monster to pay me off well (hopefully multiple people), but the counter arguement is you should build things up early and get people tied on for those big pots.

P.S. The ONLY time I min-bet a paired door-card (which is legit), is in this case. Where I have made quads and don't want to force them off with the maximum.

In the last 25K hands, this opportunity has only arisen once though.

Show hole cards is not supported for this site.
7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

River - (16.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (18.75 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $75 Main pot $72 Rake $3

Hero: [Jd Jh Js Jc Qd 7d 2c] (Four of a kind, Jacks, Queen high)

Seat 6: [Td 6s 6c 6d 9c 7h 5d]

</font>
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi (Quads on 4\'th)

NICE. Congrats.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM

well nobody would care about a stud hand in BBV, so congrats. Once you get all those callers on 4th, might as well see how much you can push things.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 PM

The minbet on 4th is very transparent, since you completed on 3rd. Maybe it works at this level, but you might have been called for a full bet. Very bad play by the guy with rolled up 6s, but some people can't fold that hand.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM

betgo, there was one section in 7CS that I remember, where it said to always check quads, no matter how obvious it was. The logic is that even very hi calibre players can't seem to resist calling a 7'th street bet later when they hit a full house.

I did this once before and a critique I got was that by checking, you're telling everyone for sure you got quads so not to do that.

But I have to agree that at this level, players aren't quite advanced. I"ll still see even rocks at these tables not wanting to let go of a 4-flush when it's obvious a player just hit trips on his door card, and is betting the maximum.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betgo, there was one section in 7CS that I remember, where it said to always check quads, no matter how obvious it was. The logic is that even very hi calibre players can't seem to resist calling a 7'th street bet later when they hit a full house.

I did this once before and a critique I got was that by checking, you're telling everyone for sure you got quads so not to do that.

But I have to agree that at this level, players aren't quite advanced. I"ll still see even rocks at these tables not wanting to let go of a 4-flush when it's obvious a player just hit trips on his door card, and is betting the maximum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done the same thing before (rolled up &amp; snag the case card on 4th) &amp; always bet &amp; always got action. I never slowplay a big hand at this level.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 AM

If you only bet the minimum when you have a monster, you're going to be too transparent. I will sometimes min-bet when I started with a three-straight or three-flush, and occasionally with some other hand.

I do like how you played this. No need to get too fancy.