Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Worst TA\'s and Professors

Just got back from my first Finite Mathematics discussion. My TA, who is one of the worst "engrish" speakers I have ever heard, hands out a sheet with some problems that are suppose to give us an idea of things we will be learning during the semester. The first problem reads as follows:

<font color="blue"> Somebody throws balls at a target. There is a 50 percent chance that she hits with each ball. What is the chance that she hits the target at least once when she throws 3 balls? </font>

The TA gives us a little time to work out the problem then goes into his solution. Which follows:

<font color="red"> 50% + 50% + 50% = 150% she hits the target at least once </font>

No one in the classroom says anything for a few seconds and finally I ask how we can have a probability greater than 100%. He runs over the problem again using the same method. I'm still confused and say so. He explains his thinking, which makes no sense because of his "engrish". So I just pretend like I understand and shut up the rest of the class.

How can someone not understand basic probability and be TAing at a major university?

FWIW I go to the University of Wisconsin, which is a pretty reputable (although large) university.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Worst TA\'s and Professors

he was just probably just lvling everyone
Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM

I got to Wisconsin as well. While I have had a few problems with the quality of english from some of my TAs, basic competency has never been a problem.

Is this for real?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Yeah, this is for real. Most of the students in the class where staring at each other in disbelief while this was happening.
I've had another TA who had poor English skills, but had a great teaching style which easily made up for the speaking.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

I'm a math major...and I'm totally speechless. Seriously, I would e-mail the professor and my advisor about this, because this is inexcusable, especially given the amounts you pay to go to college.

I would say I've had at least four or five professors and TAs that spoke poor English, but they were all at least competent.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM

I don't get big schools. You people pay all this money and then get taught by incompetent TAs.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get big schools. You people pay all this money and then get taught by incompetent TAs.

[/ QUOTE ]

In state tuition.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 PM

If this wasn't a one time screw up and continues, I would definitley clue in the head of the math department or the dean or whoever. You don;t have to put up with an incompetent TA for the whole semester.

Also, make prop bets with this TA.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Most of the TAs at Wisconsin are pretty good from my experience. I would say you should talk to the professor and the head of the department.

Oh, and if you take classes in Computer Science, Math or statistics your TA could very well speak teh engrish.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 AM

That's pretty awful! As a science major many TAs have strong accents, but they usually only teach labs so you can get by alright. It was tough understanding them sometimes, but never were they so incomptent when it came to the subject matter. Definitely tell your professor about this one!