Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Cursed?

alright so here's the deal, i used to be a semi-pro player. Lately i've just been playing for fun, but stud used to be my best game, and now i can't win at all. I used to make a decent living playing 2/4-5/10; but lately i haven't been able to beat any game i play, not even play money. Idk, i've really analyzed my game a lot and i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Honestly it just really seems like my premium pairs are only improving around 1/4 of the time, my sets are getting beat around 45% of the time, and even my five card hands are losing much more often than they should (i'm not gonna sit here and say that all of them are getting beat, but it really seems like there's a much higher frequency that they're getting beat.) I had about five months of experience playing around 3k hands of stud every week and I think i only saw two or three days go as bad as the past 6-8 weeks have gone. Could it be that this is just a really really terrible streak? any ideas what could be wrong and/or what i could do to fix this problem?? (I've already gone over and continue to go over 7CSFAP so please save me that one)
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Cursed?

Well it does not sound like you have moved up in stakes so that is not the problem. It was for me - I beat everything at 5/10 and below really easily. However, I had a difficult time making the transition to 10/20 and up.

This could easily be a bad streak. I have experienced even longer ones, and they caused me to fundamentally question my ability and to wonder if my great start was just a fluke. I have since turning things around and have convinced myself I am invincible again - time for another down streak I guess [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. There are several very talented players here who have experienced the very same thing.

My advice is to hang in there and keep analyzing your game. Things will turn. By the way part of my trouble was not properly adjusting to higher stakes. It took me a long time to figure it out, slow learner that I am.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:50 AM

Generaly it's no big deal. But whose beating you the most? Are they solid players or the fish? If you don't know, then that's problem #1. There are reasons for this, some you have to worry about and some you just move on.

BTW what do you think is the most important area of 7CSFAP? If you can, page # and paragraph.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:51 AM

I've had great help from just playing a game that i dont't master for a while. Make it a few weeks of studies (play Pineapple or example, or refine your Omaha8 skills, whatever) until u get new inspiration to get your 7CS game together again.

Keep struggeling with 7CS and u'll only get more and more frustrated.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:40 PM

Hey SpencerC,

How long, in terns of number of hands, and how big, in terms of BB is your downswing?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:37 PM

I have been getting my ass kicked lately too. As POker CPA mentioned though, I know my big losses are mostly off fishies catching ridiculous hands, not by getting outplayed by solid players. Couple that with hands not improving (2 days ago I counted 7 4flushes on 4th and only one improved) and having to start playing on a new site where I don't know everyone and I'm not getting too worried about it yet. I will stay confident about the 150K hands in PT in the green over the 4K hands in the red the last month or so.

You either have to just keep plugging away until it turns or take some time off and regroup. If it is meaningful amounts of money you are losing and you are getting frustrated, perhaps the latter is better.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 AM

Hang in there..it'll get better