Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 PM

Default losing in the beggining

im not doing to well right now lots of ups and downs but the downs are bigger. ive been playing a month. i would think its normal for this to happen right now?? i would appreciate and thoughts from people who struggled when they started too. thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: losing in the beggining

do you have pt stud? you may want to consider getting it and make some hand categories and see where you are winning and losing
Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 AM

If you don't have a full grasp of all the fundamentals of the game yet, then get one of the Roy West or Ashley Adams books. If you follow their instructions, you will be able to beat the low limit online games. Even so, variance happens, and we all need to keep working at our game.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM

You're probably just not very good at the moment jordie. Not saying that to be a dic, saying it because it's most probably true. You just have to keep working at it, I always recommend reading Roy Wests for true beginners before moving up, however I think you're ready for 7CS4AP if you haven't read it already. Read read read, play more hands, play lots of hands, post hands here for critique, ask valid questions about the hands, give us information so we can help you, get Pokertracker Stud to really enhance your game, print off a bunch of hands, go through them one morning while having your morning coffee/tea/smoke and study them then.

Just don't get put off because you aren't winning yet.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:21 AM

You might also want to move down to 1-2 -- that game is easier than the 2-4 -- or even to .5-$1.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:13 PM

Jordie,

The swings you mentioned are natural in stud. No matter how long you play this game, you'll have swings, but as you get more experience, they should be smaller.

Another point I'd like to make is that I too play at FTP (have been for quite a while..) but I don't recall playing with you. The stud games at FTP have became alot looser since some of the other sites are closed to US players. There also have been players on this site that have decided to play "other" games (i.e. stud, razz, hi/lo, etc) ever since they watch Chip Reese win millions in the HORSE event at the WSOP but they don't have any idea what they are doing...Case in point, I had a guy try to tell me he had a straight on 3rd street & another asked "What the hell is a bring in", yet another tells me he had a set in the first three cards...you get the idea!

To summarize, you're dealing with variance & probably playing with a table of newbies who wandered over from holdem that play every hand. With that being said, it can be a boom to your bankroll or it can be a bust.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might also want to move down to 1-2 -- that game is easier than the 2-4 -- or even to .5-$1.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 is easier, id stay away from .5/1 cause the players there can be a little too loose (4 or 5 seeing 5th and 6th street most hands)
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 is easier, id stay away from .5/1 cause the players there can be a little too loose (4 or 5 seeing 5th and 6th street most hands)

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me echo this, as well. At FTP, I typically will play either the $3/6 or $5/10 game or multi-table the $1/2 game. For whatever reason (betting structure, competition, etc.), I find the $2/4 game to be more difficult to consistently win at than the others I play there.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:31 PM

I've played all the levels at FT from 1-2 - 5-10 and it's really important to recognize that the 2-4 and 3-6 games are structured very differently. 2-4 has a large ante, small bring in, so lots of loose limps and folding to a raise is correct. 3-6 is a relatively small ante and relatively larger bring in, so tighter starting requirements and loose completion calling are appropriate. This then affects your play on later streets, since there are often fewer players in a hand in 3-6 than 2-4 but they generally will have started stronger.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Hello,Pop! How are U preparing to brcome a long-term

winner?
Just wondering
SittingBull